Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Forcing PDF's to be an even number of pages ?? - Solved

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Forcing PDF's to be an even number of pages ?? - Solved
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I hope someone can help me.

I am using report caster to produce a whole bunch of reports as PDFs. The reports get sent to Xerox and are assembled into a pack before being printed double sided.
The Xerox software joins the PDFs together before printing so if the first report is 3 sides (so one and a half pieces of paper), the 2nd reports starts on the back of the 2nd page. What I need to do is make sure that Report 1 is 4 sides, so report 2 starts on a new page.

Any ideas ?

I need a simple solution as I don't have the time to put in lots of code to sort this out. I have 40 odd reports !

Cheers
Richard

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lambo911,

Senior Analyst

WebFOCUS 7.1.11 on Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
Here is an answer from the Tech Support site:

There is no built in function that will print a report on the front page when
using Duplex printing. The compound report may be on the back of one of a
printed page.
Solution:
To address this issue, use the following example:

-SET &Page = (&FOCNEXTPAGE -1) ;
-IF &Page EQ 1 GOTO BlankPg;

-* This code will tell if the page is odd or even if the last report ended on
-* an odd page. We then want to print a blank page (report) before continue
-* to the next report.
-SET &PageDiv2 = (&Page / 2);
-SET &EvenPageCount = &PageDiv2 * 2;
-SET &PageTest = &PageDiv2 * 2;
-IF &PageTest NE &Page THEN GOTO BlankPg ELSE GOTO OUT;
-BlankPg
TABLE FILE TestOutX
PRINT DST.ListBillSummaryID NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, PAGESIZE='Letter', ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, SIZE=1, COLOR=WHITE, $
ENDSTYLE
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
-*ON TABLE PCHOLD AS IBS_TEST FORMAT PDF CLOSE
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS IBS_TEST FORMAT PDF OPEN
END
-OUT

HTH

jimster06
DevStu WF 7.6.11
W7
HTML, PDF, EXL2K

Posts: 252 | Location: USA | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Since ReportCaster will only distribute the last report in a scheduled fex, you might be able to do something like this. If the original report ends on an odd page, the report is re-run with a final blank page. This may require more code modification than you'd prefer - especially if report performance is slow and an initial HOLD file would be practical in case a re-run is necessary to produce the blank page.

-SET &BLANK_PAGE = 'N';
-REPLAY
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR MODEL
BY COUNTRY
-IF &BLANK_PAGE EQ 'N' GOTO NO_BLANKPAGE ;
ON TABLE PAGE-BREAK AND SUBFOOT NEWPAGE
" "
"This page intentionally left blank."
-NO_BLANKPAGE
ON TABLE SET BYDISPLAY ON
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END
-RUN
-IF &BLANK_PAGE EQ 'Y' GOTO REPLAY_DONE ;
-* If FOCUS next page is even, then last page was odd and a blank page is needed.
-SET &BLANK_PAGE = IF IMOD(&FOCNEXTPAGE,2,'I2') EQ 0 THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';
-IF &BLANK_PAGE EQ 'Y' GOTO REPLAY ;
-REPLAY_DONE

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Richard, You do not say if you are running all the reports in a single caster job or
multiple jobs.

The fact that you say that the Xerox actually assembles the report for printing implies
that you are not generating a compound output PDF

look at the following

Make the report a compound pdf by adding an OPEN

TABLE FILE CAR
"PAGE Heading"
SUM
COMPUTE SUM_SALES/D20 = SALES; AS 'SUM_SALES'
BY COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
BY CAR

ON COUNTRY RECOMPUTE AS '*TOTAL'
-*WHERE COUNTRY NE 'FRANCE'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF OPEN
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
SQUEEZE=ON,
ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
GRID=OFF,
FONT='ARIAL',
SIZE=9,
$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

Add the following to each report
This will close the PDF adding a dummy page if needed

-IF IMOD(&FOCNEXTPAGE -1 ,2,'I5') EQ 0 GOTO SKIPDUMMY;
TABLE FILE CAR
" This page is intentially Blank"
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
CLOSE
END
-RUN
-GOTO ENDJOB
-SKIPDUMMY

SET EMPTYREPORT=OFF
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'USA'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF CLOSE
END
-RUN
-ENDJOB

If you are creating a compound document already then you only need the purple bits

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
This comes from my experience from over 20 years ago when I had to do the same thing. There should be a Xerox printer command (some kind of escape sequence) that you use that will force report 2 to start on a new physical page. You might try looking in that direction.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Here's another idea. Page counter TABLASTPAGE is used to determine when a blank page is needed. TABLASTPAGE must be in a heading or footing in order to make the value available for computations. A DUMMY field is used for creating the page break for the blank page. All TABLASTPAGE footings, and the headings and column titles on the blank page, are hidden by minimizing their size and making their text color white in the StyleSheet. The fact that, at the time of styling for headings and titles, COUNTRY will equal LAST COUNTRY only on a blank page is used for determining the conditional styling.

TABLE FILE CAR
 SUM SALES/D8N
 COMPUTE DUMMY/I5 = TABLASTPAGE ; NOPRINT
 COMPUTE BLANK_PAGE/A1 = IF IMOD(TABLASTPAGE,2,'I2') NE 0 THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N'; NOPRINT
 COMPUTE LAST_COUNTRY/A16 = LAST COUNTRY ; NOPRINT
 BY TOTAL DUMMY NOPRINT
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
-* WHERE COUNTRY NE 'FRANCE';
 ON DUMMY PAGE-BREAK AND SUBFOOT NEWPAGE
  "</5 "
  "This page intentionally left blank."
  WHEN BLANK_PAGE EQ 'Y';
 ON COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
 HEADING
  "Page: <TABPAGENO </1 "
  "Forcing even report page count for PDF duplex printing </2 "
 FOOTING
  "<TABLASTPAGE "
 ON TABLE SET BYDISPLAY ON
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  TYPE=HEADING, LINE=3, STYLE=BOLD, JUSTIFY=CENTER, $
  TYPE=HEADING, SIZE=1, COLOR=WHITE, WHEN=COUNTRY EQ LAST_COUNTRY, $
  TYPE=TITLE, SIZE=1, COLOR=WHITE, WHEN=COUNTRY EQ LAST_COUNTRY, $
  TYPE=FOOTING, LINE=1, SIZE=1, COLOR=WHITE, $
  TYPE=SUBFOOT, STYLE=BOLD, JUSTIFY=CENTER, $
 ENDSTYLE
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Satchell,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for all your suggestions. we will try and see if we can get it to work and let you know what we discover.

Senior Analyst

posted Hide Post
Just to let you know that we went with the TABLASTPAGE approach, thanks Dan for the idea.

We are having a problem in the the TABLASTPAGE value calculated isn't always right so we are upgrading to WF 7.6.11 which should fix the bug.

Senior Analyst