Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Multiple Reports in a Single Iframe -- CSS Features Interfering wth Ech Othr

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Multiple Reports in a Single Iframe -- CSS Features Interfering wth Ech Othr
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I have two reports being generated in a single fex to be displayed in a single iframe, one following the other (this is WF8). The css being generated from the second report is screwing up the first in really strange ways. The formatting I've put on a field in a HEADING line on the second report is getting attached to the title of the first column in the first report.

Question -- is there a way to have two reports run in the same output without the two css specifications getting confused with each other? The look is razor sharp in 7.7, a hot mess in 8.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
John,

Can you be more descriptive about what you are doing? This is pretty vague. Do you have any code examples you can put up, preferably using the CAR file?

Thanks!

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

If you're creating 2 HTML reports one right after the next you may be running into a situation where you have 2 HTML full documents open in the same iframe, each with their own set of opening/closing HTML tags along with their own CSS and the like, and so CSS internal class names generated by WebFOCUS on the "second report" are overriding those of the first one.

The suggested technique to place 2 or more reports in a single HTML browser window or iframe is to HOLD each individual report as an HTML Table and then put those tables together at the end. See this:

-* Report 1
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM   SALES
BY COUNTRY
HEADING
"Total Sales by Country"
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOPAGE
ON TABLE HOLD AS HTOTSALE FORMAT HTMTABLE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, UNITS=PTS, BORDER=0.5, BORDER-COLOR=GRAY, $
TYPE=HEADING, BORDER=OFF, SIZE=15, COLOR=BLUE, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-* Report 2
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT MODEL AND SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
HEADING
"Sales by Car and Model"
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOPAGE
ON TABLE HOLD AS HCARSALE FORMAT HTMTABLE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, UNITS=PTS, BORDER=0.5, $
TYPE=HEADING, BORDER=OFF, SIZE=18, COLOR=GREEN, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-* Render all reports
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html><head><title>Sales Report</title></head>
<body>
!IBI.FIL.HTOTSALE;
!IBI.FIL.HCARSALE;
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END

CSS settings from report 2 should (hopefully Smiler) have no impact on those from report 1.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I played around with doing it the way you suggest and I was seeing bleed-through anyway, I think because you still show css on. It poses some other issues as well since I want to be able to send to pdf and excel as well. But thanks for the suggestion, I may need to pursue it further.

Right now I'm taking a different tack on it. I'm creating identical styling on each report (the only difference is a drill-down which doesn't appear to have an effect) so that the css generated for each is identical between the two reports. In this particular situation I can get away with that because the reports are similar in nature. But it won't be the case with other scenarios for sure.

As it stands now I can throw the result to html and have them run down the page (two sets worth -- table after table on the left and graph after graph on the right all scrolling off of one control) and I can throw to a compound doc in pdf or onto multiple tabs in a single Excel spreadsheet. But -- it all hinges on getting the html output presentable since that's what the user sees first.

I'd love it if WebFOCUS would append half a dozen random characters to the front of all the css widgets generated each time they execute a report. That would likely solve all of this pretty doggone quickly

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
One way to work around this is to develop a central company stylesheet and reference that from your reports.

We created a .sty file that does something like this:
TYPE=TITLE, CLASS=TITLE,$
TYPE=DATA, CLASS=DATA,$
TYPE=HEADING, CLASS=HEADING,$
etc.

That takes care of the default styles of each TYPE.

In our reports, we then link to a central CSS-file that defines the layout for those CLASS-es.

You can override styles in your report by adding extra classes, for example:
TYPE=HEADING, LINE=1, CLASS=HEADING large,$

This applies both the CSS classes .HEADING and .large to the first HEADING line, where .large is another CSS style in our stylesheet.

Unfortunately you can't override the style of an entire style type like that, by specifying for example:
TYPE=HEADING, CLASS=HEADING2,$
...in your report, as the first definition (in the default .sty-file) overrides it - they don't cascade.

You can trick it though, for example:
TYPE=HEADING, LINE=1, CLASS=HEADING2,$ for only the first line
TYPE=HEADING, CLASS=HEADING2, WHEN=DUMMY NE 0,$ Where DUMMY is defined as something other than 0

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As a follow-up, this appears to be a shortcoming in the new version, and we'll just have to deal with it. It would seem a trivial thing to assign separate names to separate report css tags, so with any luck they'll have a handle on this soon enough.

Dear IBI -- most of us don't use the Composer, and most of my customers don't like multiple scroll bars on one page of their dashboard. The ability to string multiple reports and graphs down the length of one iframe makes for a sweet, sweet presentation that is ultra-clean, ultra-intuitive, ultra-user-friendly. Please consider those of us who create hand-crafted interfaces with WebFOCUS when you improve your toolset.

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would seem a trivial thing to assign separate names to separate report css tags

doesn't sound so trivial to me: the same TABLE code would have to generate different tags in the HTML, and corresponding tag references in the generated CSS, depending on the context in which it is run.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Adding three random characters onto the front of all tags, in the generated css and the generated table doesn't sound terribly challenging, but I'm not the guy down in the code so I'll leave it as a polite request for improvement for the gents in New York to do with as they please.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
John,
quote:
most of us don't use the Composer

I would be interested to know what you do use.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hand coding in a real programmer's text editor?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In my case I'm developing my own HTML (generally by whatever tool my client favors, but sometimes even creating by hand) and making my calls to the WF servlets to throw contents into the iframes on the page. A few times I've had to reach into Ajax to make things look more "live" but the overwhelming amount of my material is running good old-fashioned JavaScript wfservlet calls attached to widgets on the screen.

One of the primary requests I get from my clients is that they want their dashboards clean and simple instead of deluxe. They don't want to have to train employees to use them. Two long, vertical iframes with multiple reports and graphs in a vertically-oriented display lets you present a ton of related material with one scrollbar controlling the entire screen. Control widgets (drop-boxes and date widgets) are at the top of the page and issue requests to all associated iframes. I almost never use a Run button since having one means the controls and the reports can mismatch. Change a dropper, refresh the calls. The screen is always in synch with itself

I had a basic requirement for tabs within a page for a client a few years back and I pitch its look and feel to new clients on a regular basis. They're usually all over it and I'll admit that this puts one report/graph into each iframe. That solves the problem I asked about above. Some tif file tabs, each associated with an iframe, that brings their frame to the front when clicked makes it all come together, and all of the focexecs load into their hidden iframes while the user is viewing the currently active ones. The screen appears fast because the visible focexecs run first, the other dozen follow out of view.

The big advantage is that I get 100% control of look and feel, I deliver super-clean, super-simple, small code that my clients' programmers can maintain after I'm gone, and I can swap pieces in and out on a moment's notice. Folds into .net and jsp seamlessly.

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
Hand coding in a real programmer's text editor?

Joke all you want -- but the first time you drop that card deck you'll be looking to upgrade to the text editor. It's worth the learning curve.

Expert
posted Hide Post
John, I'm not joking. It is how I mostly develop WebFOCUS screens and reports.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's my preferred method as well, though I'm often directed to work with specific tools by different clients. The nice thing about the hand-coding is that it upgrades into just about any basic Dream-Weaverish tool.