Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [FOUND WORKAROUND/~SOLVED] Trouble viewing ReportCaster for 7.6.11 environment:

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[FOUND WORKAROUND/~SOLVED] Trouble viewing ReportCaster for 7.6.11 environment:
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hey all,

Has anyone here had troubles accessing their 7.6.11 ReportCaster interface due to the "This plugin is not supported." error in Chrome or "Application Blocked by Security Settings...Your security settings have blocked an application signed with an expired or not-yet-valid certificate from running" error in IE?

I'm on Chrome 44.xxxx and IE 9 (used to be on 11 but thought if I reverted back it would fix itself due to NPAPI plugins not being supported any longer. I also was originally on Java 7u80, but reverted back to the latest Java 6 version on top of IE 9 but that didn't work either.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? We really need to be able to access ReportCaster on our 7.6.11 environment!

Does anyone know if IBI is in the process of fixing the issue of their products relying on the outdated NPAPI plugin? They could use the more secure PPAPI plugin and things should work in Chrome per the Chrome team. Hope they fix this soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Web Browser Support for WebFOCUS. In the section for older versions, including 7.6.11, Chrome is not mentioned at all, because Chrome did not exist at time of release.

Meanwhile, I opened a Tech Support case regarding searching in Tech Support Knowledge Base, because I believe the Search could be hugely improved.

1)
https://techsupport.informatio...com/tech/search.html

For "Find results with all of the words" enter the word browser and click Search.

Among the top 25 results returned are links with titles like "Web Browser Support...".

2)
https://techsupport.informatio...com/tech/search.html

For "Find results with all of the words" enter the words web browser support and click Search.

Among the top 25 results returned there are absolutely no links with titles like "Web Browser Support...".

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did already look into the documentation on browser support that you mention. I tried to go clear back to IE 9 and Java 6 to see if that would help in getting the NPAPI Java applet-based ReportCaster home screen viewable, but it did not. So, I went back to Java 7 again, but left IE 9 on my computer for now. Will probably go back to IE 11 again shortly due to needing the IE 10+ responsive portal functionality to work for IE testing.

I agree that the search algorithms IBI have in place for their search engine could be far better. Not only for the Tech Support Knowledge Base but for their Tech Library documentation ta boot. Searches that you would suspect to get some good results from turn up nothing relevant in many cases. It can be quite frustrating. Another reason why a lot of the time I go to either the forums or to open a case because their docs are either unsearchable or lacking in content.

Maybe one day they will get all this sorted out. haha Thanks again!

Anyone here ever have and fix this issue before and could tell me what you did to do such? Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the access issue you are having, but I am currently in a WF 7.7.0.3 environment. When I upgraded to IE 11, I could get to the MRE and report scheduler, but the folder which has the reports I need to manage I could not expand to select a report name. I tried all kinds of things to make it work. It acted like it was timing out. Come to find out, we had over 800 fex files in that area of the MRE (many duplicates). We whittled that down to around 150. Now I am able to select reports for scheduling and expand the folder to select what I need. I am running IE 11 in v. 9 compatible mode with Java 7.71

Edwin

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
I use WF 7.6.11, Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 40, and Java 8.

Did you add your site to the Exception list in Java Control Panel?
https://www.java.com/en/downlo...elp/jcp_security.xml

If the box is disabled you will need to modify deployment.properties file under your user profile to add sites to the list.
http://www.adminarsenal.com/ad...-exception-site-list

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Edwin and Mighty Max,

Thank you for chiming in. I appreciate you letting me know your configurations and experiences with such.

Edwin,

If I open up a browser, say IE 9, and navigate to serverName/ibi_apps/ for my 7.6.11 environment, I get the blue-bordered welcome menu screen that has link headers such as:
- WebFOCUS Utilities
- WebFOCUS Site Administration
- Dashboard and Managed Reporting
- ReportCaster
- Maintain
- WebFOCUS Demonstrations
- License Management

Under ReportCaster, I select the ReportCaster link and then get sent to the login screen. I then login and get to the part where you see the rotating Java loading icon for a few moments until I get a popup saying "Application Blocked by Security Settings...Your security settings have blocked an application signed with an expired or not-yet-valid certificate from running". After clicking through I get a white screen with a small line stating an error has occurred in the top left.

I assume it is due to the application I am trying to run being a Java applet that relies on the NPAPI plugin that is quickly becoming unsupported by all the major browser companies. That is what trying to run the same thing in Chrome tells me. That "This plugin is not supported.", but even after reverting back to IE 9 I still have the issue.

Mighty Max,

I tried adding the site to the exception list but that didn't work. I then tried setting my Java Security Level from High to Medium and that seemed to do the trick. I can now run the Java applet-based ReportCaster app. I think I will reset it to High unless I need to get in there to use it. Hopefully IBI will fix the plugin issue eventually.

Thanks!

Master
posted Hide Post
Do you think that IBI uses their own Magnify search engine for the knowledge base? If so, it needs a big improvement.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post