Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Parameterizing IBFS refrence for -INCLUDE

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Parameterizing IBFS refrence for -INCLUDE
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Is there any way to paramartize the IBFS: reference for includes (et al)... The IBFS reference seems to be the requirement for referencing an object in the contents area (vs on the data server)

When I try to parametrize it, like this:
-SET &LOC = 'TEST';
-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/&LOC/fs_properties.fex

I get this error:
Names cannot contain any of the following characteres: Space&*()|:;",?/"

The challenge is that as we promote code from one diretory to another (in the contents area)..we have to remember to go in and physically change that all the directory reference (in this case TEST) for the -INCLUDES/HTMLFORMS etc.

I know I would then have to figure out a way to set the &LOC so it knows from where the code is running..but I believe the SE said that is possible in the profile execution..so I would have a value knowing the relative run area.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
Wm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: W Kassebaum,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 30 | Location: Living in Charlotte, working all over | Registered: July 13, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does this work?

-SET &LOC = 'TEST';
-SET &IBFS='-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/' | &LOC.EVAL | '/fs_properties.fex';
&IBFS.EVAL

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I tried to run this...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-SET &LOC = 'TEST';
-SET &IBFS='-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/' | &LOC.EVAL | '/fs_properties.fex';
&IBFS.EVAL

-TYPE &DATA_LOCATION.EVAL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(&DATA_LOCATION is in fs_properties.fex)

a. it stopped throwing the error (goood)
b. it did not do the include for fs_properties.fex (bad) so, at run time, it prompted for DATA_LOCATION.

I don't think that technique (which was a very good idea and something I had not thought of) does not appear to work in the contents area. I'm sure the equivalent would work on the reporting server.

thanks for the thoughs.

wm

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 30 | Location: Living in Charlotte, working all over | Registered: July 13, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Just to make sure I understand, what happens if you hard code the value in the -INCLUDE? Does it run if you say:

-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/TEST/fs_properties.fex
-TYPE &DATA_LOCATION.EVAL

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have found absolutely ZERO documentation on how to use -INCLUDE in fexes in the Repository.

I assumed that if the fexes are in the same folder, you would not have to specify the path, but I am wrong.

But where is the documentation? The "Managed Reporting 8.0.08" (wfmr_intro.pdf) doc is an example of minimalism.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Amazingly, a search result provides this v7.6.1 link:

http://documentation.informati...v/source/topic27.htm

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can't parameterise the INCLUDEs in v8x.

As I understand it, with the fex's stored in a DB, there is a preprocessor that collects all the fex's and passes them to the reporting server for execution. This process does not support variables.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
This does not work. I think when V8 came there where couple of posts regarding this.

But this does not work because of the execution order. Variables are assigned values after the initial parse where includes are gathered.

Release: WebFOCUS 8104, AppStudio: 8105
Output: HTML,Excel,Active Reports

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.. Waz's and SSander's insights were what I was expecting..but I wanted to be sure.

Maybe/Hopefully they enhance this preprocessor to handle variables..but we'll see. I dont know if a NFR has been submitted for this functionality.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughtful responses.

Wm

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Wm, you should put in the NFR, can't hurt, and you should find out if someone else has asked as well.

Als0, please edit your first post in this thread and add [SOLVED] or [CLOSED], etc to indicate the answer you got.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post