Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Quick Query is so cool...

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Quick Query is so cool...
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
you know that freebie disk we got at Summit?
the quickquery on it was only for 769
so if you don't have that, don't use it,
but DO grab the quickquery that comes on the cd with whatever is the version of DevStu that you are using. You just install it in excel the same way you do any other add-in.
I never would have bothered, if they hadn't given us the disk at Summit, but now that i have, i'm insanely wild about this thing.
Its SO easy for my end users.
It looks like Report Assist, is fast like Report Assist , AND (get this) it does JOINS...
here are some tips on how you use it...
1) when you set it up for your enduser, and on popup box #1 where you designate your server,
DO NOT put in the ending slash, regardless of what the doc says. DO NOT. (i know all of you will go and put IN that slash just to see what happens...you'll rue the day)
2) you need to write individual user profiles (ibi/profiles) to control each end user's own APP PATH. so you can control what masters each user can see. (You can not do that, and just let everyone see whats on the edasprof's app path...)
3) Cluster-joined master files are just fine to use, but Business Views are not. rats. But there's really no way that i know to issue that FOCTRANSFORM command that BV's need. ok.
So if you're using RDBMS, you can just erase from the cluster master the fields you don't want to show, and use the technique of techmemo4550 to not show certain fields you really need to keep (like keys), and all will be swell.
This tool is just wicked cool. I've got users who are so phobic actually using it. They feel so safe b/c they start from friendly territory, excel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
So you finally got it installed all right then?
Glad to see your users like it so much.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Since I was not at summit - how do I get the quickquery cd ?

WebFocus 7.6.6
Oracle 10
Windows XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips Susannah, I'm excited about trying it! Wink

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
jay
it comes w/ devstu

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Business Views are not. rats

Susannah - We put the command
SET FOCTRANSFORM=ON
in the C:\ibi\srv76\wfs\etc\edasprof.prf. Business Views in QuickData work like a charm Smiler

quote:
you need to write individual user profiles (ibi/profiles) to control each end user's own APP PATH

Depending on the security mode you are running in you may be able to set up Group Profiles which should reduce the management a bit.

Finally, we restrict user access to Master Files by the name of the Master file. That way we don't have to mess with everybody's app path statements. I guess there really is more than one way to skin a cat. Yuck! Where does that saying come from anyway?!?

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
SET FOCTRANSFORM=ON

Word of caution;

We added SET FOCTRANSFORM=ON to our Edasprof for Business Views and had users screaming because their code wasn't working anymore in 7.6.6. Took it out and they were fine, so if you're going to try this in 7.6.6, test it out first!

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Susanna,
Its good to hear that you like the Quick Data tool and that it will be valuable to your end users.
Also happy that the issues you encountered were identified and corrected.
The Quick Data add-in that was given at Summit is the same version as the the one packaged w/ Dev Studio and WebFOCUS 769.
I will correct the doc that shows a forward slash at the end of the host name (I found it in one screen shot that was used in the doc as an example!).
With regards to using Business Views, as Dan and Carol mentioned, the SET command FOCTRANSFORM=ON is required. This can be set in a FOCEXEC or for the case when thin client tools are used (Power Painter, InfoAssist, HTML RA etc.) the SET command needs to be placed in the server global profile or in the users profile.
Adding this SET command in the profiles should not impact any existing procedures or when using real master files instead of Business Views.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Dimitri,

I should have mentioned that FOCTRANSFORM=ON, only affected one of our applications, I really need to dig further to figure it out or open a case, just haven't had time. This application was using WebFOCUS, but coded with mostly SQL passthru. If I figure it out, I will share the results. I did search to see if anyone else reported known issues with FOCTRANSFORM but didn't find anything, so that's good news.

Thanks!
Carol

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan..i didn't know about Group profiles...
hmmm...sounds promising...i'll research.
i googled skin a cat... seems nobody really knows...so you're free to make up something amusing...
Dimitris..hi.thanks for fixing the doc. we're not too worried about bv's , we're over the moon about all the rest.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
some references:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-mor1.htm

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
yeah, i found that one, as well. and they don't seem to come to a conclusion...

Guru
posted Hide Post
Quick Data rocks! I just finally got my hands on it and it's amazingly easy for users. Susannah, thanks for the tips!

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't see Quick Data anywhere in the Dev Studio 7.6.5 install that we downloaded from Information Builders.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It's not free, Francis. You need a license key for the WF client and seat licenses. A bunch of people got 5 free ones for attending Summit.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Oh well,

back to hand-coding then.

Thanks,

Francis.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I didn't realise that Canada was that advanced Wink

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Well, we're working with metal now, not

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good One
btw...
qd is in devstu
C:\ibi\DevStudio76\Utilities\wfquickdata.xla
and
gets installed from within Excel, as any other addin, just navigate to it.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Quick Data is available w/ the Developer Studio edition and can be used against your local Dev Studio installation (single license).
To use QD against WebFOCUS a license is needed on the WebFOCUS environment.

Regards,
Dimitri

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I just tried adding this addin and it said it was not a valid office addin. Do I need to select the regist1a.exe instead of the xla file?

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Posts: 341 | Location: Pembroke NH/Jericho NY | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quick Data rocks! ... and is So Cool.
But, how do we get it to work with another data server besides EDASERVE? Like 1010TEST?

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
My problew with loading quickdata was that I am using Excel 2010 and needed a newer version. IB sent it to me and loaded with ease.

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Posts: 341 | Location: Pembroke NH/Jericho NY | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
good to know; tks