Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] File size limit for release 7.6.8

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] File size limit for release 7.6.8
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi,

We have a large data file (greater than 2GB) that need to be downloaded into WebFOCUS, we are currently using Release 5.2 and in the progress of upgrading to 7.6.8.

1. What is the file size limit for Release 7.6.8?
2. What is the alternative and the best way to handle large file size in the current Release 5.2?

Thanks
Sophie

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 5.2 upgrading to the latest version at the moment.
UNIX
HTML

Posts: 35 | Registered: September 16, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What type of file are you using ?

Where is the file being loaded ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
It's Oracle type file (11 million records) trying to load into WebFOCUS 5.2

Thanks
Sophie

UNIX
HTML

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi
If the file size is very large.you can use Reportcaster functionality . Using Bursting option,we can divide the reports and put in some locations

WebFOCUS 7610
Windows

Posts: 121 | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
we can divide the reports

I didn't notice that reports were mentioned?

Sophie,

When you say "into WebFOCUS 5.2", I guess that you mean FOCUS or an XFOCUS db and not MSSQL, Oracle etc. ?

Working on the assumption that it's FOCUS then the limit (I believe) is over 2GB after early 7 release(?). XFOCUS has a greater limit so it might be adviseable for you to look at that. If you still hit problems size wise (you only say that it's over 2Gb) then there are always other methods that you can use, such as the LOCATION attribute.

I'm sure that tech support coudl answer specifics acording to your set-up / release(s) etc., so it might be work while getting a case raised to ask those specifics.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I currently have an XFOCUS file that is about 3.5GB. Another option, if the data lends it self to it would be to split the file into logical units like yearr, make year part of the file name and controll which files are used by using a USE statement. We do that as well.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We still don't know the destination file type.

This seems to be existing functionality, so the destination type must be known.

As Tony says, if the destination is FOCUS, it has a 2gb limit, per file.

You can break the data up into multiple FOCUS files. I think that there was a discussion about XFOCUS a while back that ended up shoing that XFOCUS is a licensed product.

One important question, your signature says UNIX, what flavour is it?

We currently have a case with IBI with running 32 bit software on solaris 9, reading large files, over 2gb, fails.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We have found that even our interim extracts and work hold files (.ftm) have to be turned into .foc (xfocus) when we're working with large (>2g) extracts. I don't think we have any special licensing for ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT XFOCUS ..

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I have tried Xfocus a few times (unlicensed)
the advantage is the much bigger size, but I found out that you can not update records.

My question in this is, why would you convert a nice oracle database to a focus database?
And if it is a matter of downsizing, can you keep the new file at oracle format.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Xfocus ....... (unlicensed)
Not sure that it is an extra cost?
quote:
why would you convert a nice oracle database to a focus database?
I've seen speed advantages by doing this so, why wouldn't you want to convert?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
Not sure that it is an extra cost?

Tony, it's totally an extra cost, and if you want the MDI index feature as well that's an additional extra cost.

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses so far.

The destination file type will be text file to the SQL server destination.

Our UNIX OS also has a limit of 2GB file size. Therefore, any suggestionss to bypass this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Sophie

UNIX
HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks for setting the facts JG!

Sophie, use LOCATION to split your FOCUS files into separate files.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986