Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] grid lines in Excel2K report format

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] grid lines in Excel2K report format
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
hi ppl,
I am exporting the report from HTML to EXCEL2K format.. but , when i view the report in Excel2K , the grid lines are not visible. ( Especially in print preview option).. Is there any functionality or option provided by WEbfocus where i can display the grid lines in the Excel2K format of the report and the grid lines are visible after i print the report???

Thank you
ARvind ,
Webfocus 7.1.4
output format - HTML , EXCEL2K , PDF

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP
Output: HTML,PDF,Excel

<Helpme>
posted
We did it using Excel templates... But if you FTP the generated output rather than distribute it to library, the grid lines that you applied with style sheets will be visible...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Helpme>,

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
thank you ,
i am sorry i am new to this..i will explain to you the situation.. In our report , we are using PDF, Excel icons in Html . The user can click on these icons and export the report to the corresponding format.. Can you please explain where FTP comes into the picture??

arvind

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I would advise you to swith to HTML form.
Then set the htmlformtype as xls.
You will be able to see the grid lines....

tks/sam

WF Server: 7.1.4 on Z/OS and Linux, ReportCaster
Data: DB2, DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server, Oracle Output: HTML,PDF,Excel2K
WF Client: Servlet, CGI

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
sir,
our requirement is to export the report to EXL2K..the user is dynamically given the privilige to change the format ...but initially the default format is HTML..is there any other way to resolve this issue???
thanks a lot

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
So wats the issue ??
Give a link for export to excel and pass some variable when user clicks on that.
say &FMT.
now put some dialogue manager command to go to a particular level, if format is excel and then in that level set HTMLformtype='xls' . (and make sure default point to html format - no htmlformtype setting)

So basicaly by passing some variable and handling it through dm command, you make generate html/pdf/excel outputs.

hope this solves the issue.

Thanks!

WF Server: 7.1.4 on Z/OS and Linux, ReportCaster
Data: DB2, DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server, Oracle Output: HTML,PDF,Excel2K
WF Client: Servlet, CGI

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
sir ,
the issue is as i stated in the first post , i want to see grid lines when i am exportin the report from HTML to EXL2K...i used the clause HTMLformtype='xls'..the grid lines are not visible in the print preview option of EXL2K...
i apologise if i am not able to communicate my problem appropriately.
thank you sir

WebFOCUS 714
Windows XP

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
arvind -- I believe this is an issue that you have to handle in excel by turning the grid lines on in the page layout view before you print. The default in excel is to print with grid lines off.

WF 8 version 8.2.04. Windows.
In focus since 1990.

Posts: 189 | Location: pgh pa | Registered: October 06, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think the answer is as Spence has suggested. I don't think GRID and BORDER attributes are valid for Excel output. (They are valid in that they don't cause an error, but they do not display in Excel.) The only way to see the grid lines in Excel is to manually turn them on.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<Helpme>
posted
You dont have to turn them manually if you use templates to generate your report. You may create an excel template with macros that apply grids/borders and use that to generate your report. And coming to the FTP option.. when you schedule a report in ReportCaster, you can set the distribution to FTP rather than library.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Can you please give me instructions for what I need to put in my template in order to display grid lines with EXL2K output. I have tried using border and grid and neither have any impact on the output. Thanks.

Posts: 118 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: January 16, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sirs, Yes Sirs, Bonjour
I too, really, want to control Grids and Borders in EXL2K (Formula) HELD files.
At the moment, I'm sticking to Focus for MVS and FTPes the Result through our Enterprise way to FTP files to Users ( Not all of them so much technophiles : Normal Guys, I'd say).
Thanks in advance, Sirs ( Whose Platinum ears, sometimes, prevent from listening. Nonetheless, I am very admirative of your skills, and, so often too, of your sense of humour)
Cordially and Focusely

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Should I create a request for this as an enhancement or is there one already?

Posts: 118 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: January 16, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We have been confronted to this problem and it was resolved by using SET SSDEBUG=256 in the fex.
Catherine

7.7.02 (Html, Excel, Ahtml, Pdf,Graph,.....)
OS400 V5R3, V5R4
Windows 2000/2003/2007/2010

Posts: 68 | Location: France | Registered: February 27, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cati - France:
We have been confronted to this problem and it was resolved by using SET SSDEBUG=256 in the fex.
Catherine

Hey Cati, your trick does work and relieved me from the trouble that's been haunting me for the whole week. Great thanks to you!

Further to the topic, I just found that even when you set BORDER=LIGHT (with other options as MEDIUM and HEAVY), the thickness of the border is still too heavy. The webfocus document also gives a "width" option but somewhat too vague as to how you can use it. I started with BORDER=1, the result is equal to "LIGHT". When I tried BORDER=0.5, it's exactly same thickness as the lightest you can find in Excel. Hope this help other folks looking for the same answer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bug,

7.66 and 7.704
System: Windows / AIX / Linux
Output: Mostly HTML, with some PDF, Excel and Lotus(!)

Posts: 147 | Location: Toronto (GTA) | Registered: May 25, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
SET SSDEBUG=256

MY VOTE FOR TIP OF THE YEAR!

MERCI MILLE FOIS

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'll send you a mille-feuille if you tell me what SSDEBUG is!

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What am I missing?

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT='Car Example', BORDER=1,$
TYPE=DATA, BACKCOLOR=(RGB(151 251 152) RGB(255 250 250)), $
ENDSTYLE
END
-EXIT

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post