Focal Point
[SOLVED] Difference between InfoAssist and AppStudio

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4757021576

March 13, 2015, 11:39 AM
Salva BI
[SOLVED] Difference between InfoAssist and AppStudio
Hello all,

Can somebody explain me the main difference between InfoAssist and AppStudio?
Would you suggest to the Business User to use AppStudio? Can we create portal in InfoAssist or we must use DevStudio?
I know that with AppStudio you can create universe or grant access, however with InfoAssist can we create all of kind repors/dashboards or do we have some limits.

Thank you for your help.

Bean

WF/InfoAssist 8.0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,
March 14, 2015, 10:37 AM
Luiz De Assis
Salva,

Our company uses Webfocus/InfoAssist in a multi-tenant environment, and users only have access to InfoAssist. They are able to create reports, charts, dashboards and portals, but don't have access to the text editor or the metadata(synonyms). App Studo (Dev Studio) is only available to the IT group. By the way, "Universe" is a Business Object term. In Webfocus, we use synonyms and "cluster joins".

I've tried to post a comparison chart that shows the functionality available in InfoAssist/App Studio, but it didn't show well. If you can't find anything in the IBI site, shoot me an e-mail, and I'll send you that information.

Just want to clarify that in the "comparison chart" I've e-mailed to people, there's no mention of the Text Editor and its use in InfoAssist. However; it is worth notice that someone with knowledge of Webfocus/Focus language could take InfoAssist a bit further. By that, I mean develop applications that include FML language, Match, More, HTMLFORM, etc. The drawback is that the InfoAssist GUI can't parse that code, and editing (via GUI) is no longer available. Thanks

Luiz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Luiz De Assis,
March 16, 2015, 10:38 AM
Kevin W
The main difference we have is that in InfoAssist they develop against production. When they work in App Studio they have to develop in our DEV environment and then deal with version control, Change Management, and release tickets. We have given a couple of users Studio, but they don't want to go through the "bureaucratic" process.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 (Someday 8)
Windows 7, All Outputs
In Focus since 1983.
March 20, 2015, 10:00 AM
Salva BI
Hello,

Thank you for explaining the difference, however if you would like to develop a dashboard like this:
http://www.informationbuilders.com/demo/15553, you need to have Dev/AppStudio, do you agree on this?

Bean

Product Release: 8.0
March 23, 2015, 08:59 AM
Melanie Murphy
In my experience, you could build the charts/reports in InfoAssist, and pull them all together in BI Portal. But you'd need AppStudio for the HTML forms...

WebFOCUS 8.1.05,
Windows 7,
All output types
March 23, 2015, 03:03 PM
Luiz De Assis
I believe you can build something similar to that, but it would take a combination of the InfoAssist GUI plus the text editor (HTMLFORM BEGIN and HTMLFORM END). I'd start by gathering the requirements for each tab, identifying commonalities between the tabs (fields, filters, variables, formats, etc), data sources, and so on.
March 24, 2015, 10:27 AM
BarryS
Hi

InfoAssist is meant to be used by a Power user where they can build faily sophisticated reports and charts. AppStudio is meant to be used by a Developer to build applications (interactive) that present reports and charts as well as allow you to build the reports and charts. App Studio allows you to manage WebFOCUS systems.

Thanks Barry

WebFOCUS 8103, Windows, App Studio