Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Starting an Application from WebFOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Starting an Application from WebFOCUS
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Can a job be setup in Report Caster to kick off a shell script on a unix server that runs an Application Manager (Appworx) chain?
Or
Can an Application Manager chain kick off a Webfocus 'report' on a Windows server?

Depending on the answer I'm sure I'll have followup questions.
Thanks, Rick

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The first alternative is easier *IF* you have a WebFOCUS Reporting Server running in the same box where Application Manager sits.

You can have a WebFOCUS procedure calling a Unix script as the fake one below:

-* Pretending to kick off Application Manager
-UNIX /appwork/bin/appwork -start
-* more stuff if needed ...

You can now create a Report Caster schedule with a task invoking the .fex above.

The second alternative is also possible provided you have an "Application Manager" agent running in the Windows box where WebFOCUS runs. If that's the case, it should be possible to use "edastart.bat" to run any .fex you want.

There should be some good ideas about the use of -UNIX and/or edastart.bat in this forum or in the product documentation.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bummer, I have neither

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If your Unix box (where app manager runs) and the Windows box (where WF is) are registered as "trusted" it *may* be possible for one to start a remote execution on the other but that's just my very high-level theory and in most installations I know, they wouldn't allow remote process execution anyway unless it is done via a "controlled" layer such as those provided by Tivoli, Tidal and other schedulers out there but even in those cases, you need an "agent" in each machine involved.

You could also try developing your own tiny client-server utility (in Java for instance) but that may rise some concerns from sys admins ... I know it did in my case a few years back and had to remove it Big Grin

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Not knowing all that much about APPWORX but it seems to me that all it is doing is excuting commands, scripts, procedures, etc. If so, then couldn't it execute a shell script that launches WebFOCUS via edastart? Obviously the WebFOCUS server and the APPWORX server need to be connected.
I ran across this in another post. Would this do it?

The following is yifex.sh

#!/bin/ksh
umask 000
export ORACLE_SID=KIDS
export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/ibi/10gClient
export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/ibi/10gClient
export ORAENV_ASK=NO
export EDACONF=/opt/ibi/713/ibi/srv71/wfs
export EDATEMP=/opt/ibi/apps/temp/$1
export EDAPROF=.
export EDAPATH=.
export FOCUSFEX=$1
export KIDSHOME=/home/eda
TEMPDIR=/opt/ibi/apps/temp/$1
if [ ! -d $TEMPDIR ];
  then echo '$TEMPDIR does not exist...Creating.'
       mkdir $TEMPDIR
       chmod 774 $TEMPDIR
  else echo '$TEMPDIR exists.'
fi
cd $EDATEMP
pwd
$EDACONF/bin/edastart -f $KIDSHOME/yifex.t3i
#
#  Set environment variable to the current date (YYYYMMDD format)
#
CURRDT=$(/bin/date +%Y%m%d)
mv yifex.t3o $KIDSHOME/msgfiles/$1.$CURRDT
cd $KIDSHOME
rm $EDATEMP/* 2>/dev/null
rmdir $EDATEMP

Here's yifex.t3i

%connect
%begin
EX YIFEX
%end
%disconnect
%stop_server

The following is yifex.fex in baseapp.

-SET &PGM=FGETENV(8,FOCUSFEX,8,'A8');
-SET &PGM=UPCASE(8,&PGM,'A8');
 EX &PGM

Now, putting all the pieces together I can run a job from Report Caster by creating a fex name lnch640 and have RC run the job. lnch640 contains:

-UNIX /home/eda/yifex.sh yi640 (yi640 is the fex being run)

If you have a job stream, then your launch fex would look like this.

-UNIX /home/eda/yifex.sh yi640
-UNIX /home/eda/yifex.sh yi600
-UNIX /home/eda/yifex.sh yi643
etc.

If running from cron, just leave the -UNIX off.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF