Focal Point
[CLOSED] Settting up Joins in InfoAssist

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4757083096

June 15, 2018, 09:47 AM
DWaybright
[CLOSED] Settting up Joins in InfoAssist
I know Joins have been a topic of discussion on the Forum (I've read most of the posts), but I haven't seen anything that addresses how to set up a join in InfoAssist. Specifically, what are the things to consider when choosing between Single or Multiple Instances?
I recently worked on a report that joined two tables to the main table and thought multiple was the way to go because there could be multiple records that matched back to the main table, but that gave incorrect results. I had to use Single on both to get the correct results, but I don't understand why.

Thanks in advance for help in understanding this!
--Deb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (production), 8.2.06 (testing)
AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs
June 15, 2018, 10:02 AM
BabakNYC
What's the data source of the tables involved? Are they all relational and in the same DBMS or are you joining HOLD files?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
June 15, 2018, 10:33 AM
FP Mod Chuck
Deb

This has always made me a little crazy and I heard the explanation once but can't recite it back.. 99 times out of a 100 a single or unique join will do what you want. To prevent users from doing the wrong thing because (and this is the part that makes me crazy) the default is to do the multiple join you can create a Reporting Object that has the join pre-defined or you can create a cluster join in the metadata itself and let them use that..

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
June 15, 2018, 11:02 AM
DWaybright
The tables are all relational and in the same DBMS.

The issue with creating a Reporting Object is that my BAs keep creating new joins! I'd have to anticipate what they'll come up with next. Plus, I'm holding off on creating Reporting Objects until we upgrade to 8.2 later this year. We're still on 8.1.05M.

Sounds like what I am hearing is, try it until you get what you're looking for. Not exactly what I was hoping for!
Razzer

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs
June 15, 2018, 12:31 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Deb

I think the single join will work 99% of the time so steer them in that direction.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
June 20, 2018, 12:51 PM
DWaybright
Chuck,
Thanks for all the info. I will indeed steer them in that direction.

--Deb

AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs
June 25, 2018, 01:35 PM
Tony A
Hi Deb,

A couple of suggestions so that your users do not have this issue would be -

Either of these might suit your Company and the way that they wish to work.

One advantage from the end users point of view is that they do not have to worry about the structure and the joins because they would already have been analysed and set within either solution.

If you need assistance with understanding or implementing either or both of these (plus business views of course), check with your local IB team for their Professional Services team.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10