Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Supported browsers in MRE/Dashboard 5.3.x and work-arounds

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Supported browsers in MRE/Dashboard 5.3.x and work-arounds
 Login/Join

<Joe Filtz>
posted
Hi all

Simple question which I can't seem to find in the documentation. We have recently purchased MRE/Dashboard 5.3.x with the intent of developing a customer-facing application.

We obviously can't control which browsers our customers will access the application with.

That poses two questions:
1) What browsers does MRE 5.3.x support (e.g., IE 5, IE 6, FireFox, etc)
2) How can I tell using MRE what browser they are using and what can I do if they are not using a supported browser?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Joe, here is a section taken out of the WebFOCUS and Report Caster Installation and Configuration for Windows 5.3:

End User Machine Requirements
This table lists requirements for machines from which end users or administrators access
WebFOCUS reports and applications. Not all requirements apply to all users and in many
situations, only a Web browser is required.

Requirement Options Notes
Web Browser Microsoft Internet
Explorer 5.5 or higher or Netscape Navigator 7.1
or higher.
Simple HTML WebFOCUS Reports can be viewed on any
browser.
WebFOCUS applications, Managed Reporting, OLAP,
BID, and other end-user features are supported on
Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.

Administration and development interfaces are
supported on Internet Explorer.

Adobe Acrobat: Reader Version 6.0 is certified. Acrobat is needed to view PDF reports generated by WebFOCUS.

Java Web Start (ReportCaster Administration
Only): Sun Java 2 JRE or SDK (J2SE) 1.4.2 or higher. This is required only for ReportCaster administrators. The ReportCaster Development and Administration interface is a Java Web Start application. Java Web Start is installed with Sun Java 2 JRE or SDK 1.4.2 or higher. For more information on Java requirements, see Java
Requirements on page 2-6.

Java VM Browser Plug-In (Managed Reporting and
applet-based graphics only): Microsoft VM for Java Version 5.0.0.3167 or higher or Sun Java 2 JRE or SDK (J2SE) 1.4.1_03 or higher.

Managed Reporting and applet-based graphics require applets to be processed by the Web browser. This requirement does not have to be met before installing WebFOCUS. More information will be provided in Chapter 10, Managed Reporting and Dashboard Verification and Security.

For Netscape on any platform, install Sun Java SDK or JRE 1.4.2_03 or higher. On Windows 2000, 98, ME, and most XP machines, no
installation steps are required when using Internet Explorer. On Windows 2003 Servers, install either a Sun Java SDK or JRE or a Microsoft VM.

Also, I have heard that Netscape 7.2 and Firefox might be supported when WebFOCUS 7 is released soon.

Hope this helps...

<DocServices>
posted
Hi Joe,

Netscape support is covered in chapter 6 (WebFOCUS Client Enhancements) of the WebFOCUS New Features 5.3 manual (DN4500579.0904). We will have documentation for Netscape/Firefox support in the 7.1 version of the New Feature documentation.

-Jennifer

Report This Post
<Joe Filtz>
posted
hey guys - thanks for the replies - that will help me tell the customers what to use but is there a way I can tell what they are using and what can I do if they are not using a supported browser

thanks in advance

joe

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post