Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] DATE OF DAY IN THE EXCEL FILE NAME PRODUCED WITH CASTER AND SENT BY MAIL

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] DATE OF DAY IN THE EXCEL FILE NAME PRODUCED WITH CASTER AND SENT BY MAIL
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi Everybody,

I need to have the date of day in the file name attached to the mail sent via report caster, something like this : filename_jjmmaaaa.xls

I search in the forum but can't find the solution.

How can I do that ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Catherine

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

7.7.02 (Html, Excel, Ahtml, Pdf,Graph,.....)
OS400 V5R3, V5R4
Windows 2000/2003/2007/2010

Posts: 68 | Location: France | Registered: February 27, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there other methods, but I run a job in Reportcaster and save the report.

ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT EXL2K AS ONEGRAPH

then I have a copy job that copies it and adds the date sends to location and a link is sent via e-mail AS an inline message from Reportcaster

COPY \\CORP\TRANS\\GRAPHS\ONEGRAPH.xls \\CORP\\TRANS\GRAPHS\TWOGRAPH&MDYY...xls

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answer.

What do you mean with "a link is sent via e-mail....".
How do you do that wiht report caster ?
Could you provide an example ?

Thanks a lot
(merci beaucoup)
Catherine

OS400 V5R3, V5R4

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is the entire Fex.

You run it as an inline message in Reportcaster

COPY \\CORP\TRANS\\GRAPHS\ONEGRAPH.xls \\CORP\\TRANS\GRAPHS\TWOGRAPH&MDYY...xls
NT DEL \\CORP\TRANS\GRAPHS\ONEGRAPH.xls
-*this  is run in Reportcaster and sends the link to the customer
DEFINE FILE CAR
MYLINK/A255='<A HREF="V:\TRANS\Graphs/TWOGRAPH&MDYY...xls">V:\TRANS\Graphs/TWOGRAPH&MDYY...xls </A>';
TODAY/MDYY = '&DATEMDYY';

END
TABLE FILE CAR
 PRINT
  CAR NOPRINT
  MYLINK AS ' '

IF READLIMIT EQ 1

HEADING
"Daily Spreadsheet Link"
"<TODAY"

" "

ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     PAGESIZE='Letter',
     LEFTMARGIN=0.000000,
     RIGHTMARGIN=0.000000,
     TOPMARGIN=0.250000,
     BOTTOMMARGIN=0.250000,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=9,
    COLOR='BLUE',
     BACKCOLOR='NONE',
     STYLE=BOLD,
     RIGHTGAP=0.000000,$

TYPE=HEADING,
     BACKCOLOR='SILVER',
  JUSTIFY=CENTER,
  SIZE=10,
$

END  

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Cati, this is one case where the "Burst Report" feature of Report Caster may come in handy.

See this:

DEFINE FILE CAR
TODAYDT/A8 WITH CAR = '&DMYY';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY AND CAR
BY TODAYDT NOPRINT
END

I'm using today's date (but this can be any date you need) as the first BY field of the request; I'm using NOPRINT as I don't need that value to be displayed but just to be picked by Repor Caster.

You can now add a new Report Caster schedule specifying email distribution with report attachement and, in the "Task" tab:

- Choose EXL2K as Report Format
- Check the "Burst Report" checkbox
- Specify the base filename you need in Save report As. For instance, try something like: "test_report.xls"

Burst will automatically take each unique instance of the first BY field value and append it to the filename specified (just before the file extension).

Once the schedule runs, you should be receiving an email with an attachement called: "test_report_11102011.xls".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's good to know.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Does it work with a .txt file (format ALPHA) ?

Merci (thank you).
Catherine

OS400 V5R3, V5R4

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I've done it with HTML, EXL2K and PDF without any issue. I don't see why ALPHA or any other WebFOCUS-supported format would be excluded.

There's no better way to see if this works than to actually trying and testing it. Create a schedule and when choosing your 'Report Output' format make sure the ALPHA format is available. If it is, then the technique should apply equally; the final result is just a file so the behaviour should be the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'll try it and let you know if it works.
Thanks.
Catherine

OS400 V5R3, V5R4

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yes, please Cati. You cathed my interest on this now Wink

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hello,

We made a lot of different tests.
It works with a .txt file but only when a unique email address is used in the caster.
When we try to use a distribution list with several email addresses, it does not work.
When we try to use an external file containing several email addresses, it does not work.

So, we have been obliged to create one instance of report caster for each adressee.

Thanks again for your precious help.
Catherine

OS400 V5R3, V5R4