Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] combine dynamic distribution with fixed email addresses

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] combine dynamic distribution with fixed email addresses
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We have an application that is sending out notices based on completion phases- different notices for different people every day. Therefore, I am using RC and a dynamic distribution list, per the doc, and this part works fine.

However, I was surprised to see that I could not ADD an additional fixed (to administrators) email address to this distribution list- no commas or semi-colons allowed on the Distribution TO... box when Dynamic Distribution list is selected.

I then thought of running the task twice, but it appears that one schedule, with two tasks, can NOT have two distribution lists, one for each task. I vaguely recall that this may be by design, but I am not sure- has anyone else run into THAT problem?

Is there any alternative to creating two schedules for the same job, one for a dynamic distribution list, and another for a fixed distribution list?

Does anyone know when ReportCaster (we are currently on 8.0.09) starts supporting CC and BCC addresses?

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
...then thought of running the task twice, but it appears that one schedule, with two tasks, can NOT have two distribution lists, one for each task...

For the same schedule - task we created two distribution 'methods': one is a 'Dynamic Distribution List' type and the other a 'Email Address' type.

When clicking the 'Distribution' button, in ReportCaster, you will see next to the 'New' button, the opportunity to create n number of distribution methods.

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Master
posted Hide Post
Here is a potential solution. in the procedure you have that generated the distribution list modify it. instead returning the data hold say as DLIST like so

BY DEST
BY VALUE
ON TABLE HOLD AS DLIST FORMAT FOCUS
END
? HOLD DLIST
-* The above line will give the you the format and lengths you need to the 2 computes below
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY NOPRINT
AND COMPUTE DEST/??? = 'texasstingray@somewhere.com';
AND COMPUTE VALUE/??? = 'somevalue';
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE HOLD AS DLIST2 FORMAT FOCUS
END

USE
DLIST AS DLIST
DLIST2 AS DLIST
END

TABLE FILE DLIST
PRINT DEST VALUE
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

Hope this help. I think you only need VALUE if it is a bursted report.

Scott

Master
posted Hide Post
The dynamic distribution is generated by a program that is run. The program can build whatever you need.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Briars:

For the same schedule - task we created two distribution 'methods': one is a 'Dynamic Distribution List' type and the other a 'Email Address' type.

When clicking the 'Distribution' button, in ReportCaster, you will see next to the 'New' button, the opportunity to create n number of distribution methods.

David- we are on 8.0.09- I cannot get the New button to work when there is an existing Distribution method- do you recall if this was a new feature in 8.1x?

Also, when you are running with two lists, are they a mix of burst (normally for Dynamic Distribution) and fixed (to make up for lack of a CC)? I ask because the manual is not clear if this type of distribution mix can be done in a single schedule.

Thanks.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
SH,

You can combine burst and non-burst into a single list/file (dynamic or otherwise) by changing the burst value to "*" (no quotes) to signify "Any value". e.g.
amy_alberts@localhost,ENGLAND,$
david_bradley@localhost,ITALY,$
chuck_dickens@localhost,*,$

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
David- we are on 8.0.09- I cannot get the New button to work when there is an existing Distribution method- do you recall if this was a new feature in 8.1x?

I do see this feature listed in the 'WebFOCUS New Features Release 8.1 Version 05 - Chapter 6 Scheduling and Distributing Information' manual.

quote:
Also, when you are running with two lists, are they a mix of burst (normally for Dynamic Distribution) and fixed (to make up for lack of a CC)? I ask because the manual is not clear if this type of distribution mix can be done in a single schedule.

In our (8105M) scenario, the first distribution, for the same schedule/task, uses a 'Dynamic Distribution List' to burst, and the 2nd distribution list has fixed recipients (the 'admins').

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Steve

I checked with Product Management on the bc and bcc and here is what I found out.

CC and BCC are coming in 8202 for use with the Email Address(s) option but not with Distribution Lists or Files.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony A, Thanks, I forgot about the use of an asterisk in this situation.
quote:
You can combine burst and non-burst into a single list/file (dynamic or otherwise) by changing the burst value to "*" (no quotes) to signify "Any value". e.g.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post