Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report not coming out in MRE.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report not coming out in MRE.
 Login/Join

<akilayko>
posted
Hello all.

I have this report that joins tables with large amount of data. Our users used to be able to run it through MRE. After about an hour, they get a "Page cannot be displayed" error msg. Now I run the report for them through RC.

Any ideas on what might be the cause?

Thank you much.

WF Dev Studio 764
Linux box
Oracle 9i

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That depends on what you mean by "large amounts of data". Has the amount of data in the report increased with the passage of time? (as data tends to do) If you are trying to return 2 million records into a browser window, then you've got a bigger problem. Not going to happen. You may also be experiencing a browser time-out. This has nothing to do with WF.

RC is one option. The other one you may want to try is just running that report deferred. Users don't have to wait for the report to be completed - they just come back later and pick it up.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<akilayko>
posted
Thanks Darin.

The join is coming from payroll distribution history. By large I mean 600+ records on the report itself. I had changed the browser timeout to 30 mins but that didn't solve the issue.

Appreciate the reply.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
600+ lines is not very large for the report, but you can't really go by how many lines are on the result set. If you have to sort through 10 million records with three joined tables to get 600 lines that's a little different than reading a 1000 record table and selecting 600 of them.

First question - when you say they "Used to" be able to run it through MRE, how long ago was "used to" and what has changed in between now and then. It may appear that nothing has changed, but something has (platforms, software updates, metadata changes, etc.) you may have to dig a little deeper. In my experience, I have never come upon an instance where things just stop working for no reason

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Oracle 9i on Linux should be fast. Check your files and make sure they are indexed on the join fields and that you are not selecting on DEFINEd fields. Consider a SQL passthru.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
<akilayko>
posted
Thanks Darin and Pat.

I'll be working on your inputs with the Applications Team.

Have a good weekend.

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Once you tackle the RDBMS performance issues, if the report still takes a long time to run, you should look into running the report as deffered. If your in MRE, you can also set the properties of the report to deferred only.

Windows: WF 7.6.2: SQL Server 2008 R2

Posts: 86 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 03, 2007Report This Post