Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Trying to Start a New Project

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Trying to Start a New Project
 Login/Join

posted
I recently had WebFOCUS Developer Studio installed on my desktop to write some OLAP reporting cubes. Where can I find samples, a tutorial, or a simple "Hello World" application of WebFOCUS Developer Studio?

I am having an extraordinarily difficult time just making a simple connection to a SQL Server 2005 database/OLAP cube. Part of it might be the mainframe-era terminology used to describe relational databases. Like, what goes into a "Master File", is that an ODBC connection? Can I connect using CORBA to a Unix database, or do I have to create a flat file? Can I work with XML?

I've been trying for a few weeks now, and I'm about to give up and go back to SQL Server Management Studio and Visual Studio. It doesn't look like WebFOCUS has the sophistication to do the job. Or, it is sophisticated, but at the expense of a usuable IDE.

Can I issue SQL and MDX commands within Developer Studio

You'll have to pardon my ignorance. I have no printed documentation, and the help files are pretty useless in that they only describe what the product is designed to do, without much text on how to actually it.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Look at this post.

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...891018331#2891018331

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

As you are most probably aware, learning a new language is fraught with frustration especially when no documentation is to hand. The documentation library that Prarie's link gives is very useful for someone, like you, who does not have the printed version to hand (you can also download them as PDFs).

To try and give you a start (forgive me if you have found this already) -

A "Master File" is akin to a Cobol FD or file description. It holds information about the data and is also refered to sometimes as metadata. It generally has the file extension of .mas.

When the data file to which the .mas relates is not VSAM, QSAM, fixed, flat or FOCUS etc. an additional file is required to allow WebFOCUS to know how to access the data file. This is known as an access file (believe it or not!) and has the file extension of .acx. Within a typical acx file for MS SQL Server tables, you will see -

SEGNAME=table_name,
TABLENAME=BIDEV.dbo.table_name,
KEYS=0,
CONNECTION=BIDEV,$

Where SEGNAME relates to the segment within the .mas, the TABLENAME identifies the SQL Table, KEYS should be fairly obvious and CONNECTION details the data adpter that has been configured within the WebFOCUS console.

If the connection hasn't been set up then you will need to achieve this using the information from one of these manuals.

Once you have the connection, you can then set up your metadata (.mas and .acx) files using the WebFOCUS console. You can then write reports against this metadata or you can use SQL passthru, for which there are many posts in this forum covering that.

Bottom line, don't give up and ask your Co. for some training. My personal view is that it is wrong to expect anyone to pick this up without some form of training, even if it is a familiarisation overview.

Good luck

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrew,

Has this issue been resolved on your side?

I searched the online manuals and came across the following which may be of interest (many thanks to Prarie and Tony's suggetions/help as well Winky):

Developer Studio Application Development Getting Started 7.1.3
(You will need to have an InfoResponse username/password to access the page and the PDF manual.)

For a tutorial in creating an OLAP-enable report, please review chapter 4. If you are running on release other than 7.1.3, please let me know the exact release number and I will be more than happy to help locating the right manual for you.

Are you still having questions regarding connection to a SQL Server 2005 database? As always, As always, you may contact Information Builders’ Customer Support Services for assistance at any time. The phone number is 1-800-736-6130, or you may access the online system InfoResponse at http://techsupport.ibi.com. Here is a list of information to be ready when you call: http://techsupport.ibi.com/before_you_call.jsp.

If you are interested in getting training classes on WebFOCUS, here is our Customer Education page, which may be of interest as well: http://education.informationbuilders.com/edu/toc.html

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need additional information in other area(s). Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your assistance.
First, I see that the WebFOCUS installation I had was incomplete, and my company has failed to register it properly. This disqualifies me from getting an InfoResponse username. Thus, no manuals in any medium: printed or PDF.

Second, it took a little time to readjust to mainframe terminology -- Masterfile and such. So, I'm plugging away making some progress step-by-step.

Thanks agin.