Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Aligning comments
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Can anybody help me to figure this out?

If the comments are stored line by line as below:

COUNTRY            CAR             MODEL                BODYTYPE          LINE  COMMENTS
ENGLAND            JAGUAR          V12XKE AUTO          CONVERTIBLE        01    XXXX 
				                                      02    YYYY
				                                      03    ZZZZ 

How do I display output like this?

COUNTRY          CAR              MODEL                BODYTYPE                COMMENTS
ENGLAND          JAGUAR           V12XKE AUTO          CONVERTIBLE             XXXXYYYYZZZZ

Thank you,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JJ,

WebFOCUS 8.2.05
Windows 2003
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
This isn't the most exciting example and I know that solutions have been posted before but I couldn't find them.
DEFINE FILE CAR
CARNAMETEXT/A1000V=LAST CAR||CAR;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CARNAMETEXT
BY COUNTRY
END

The trick is to use the variable format for the defined field.

Let us know if this works for you.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Your Comment field seems to have carriage return and might be too long

First check with datatype .. if that is ok
try this

CCMOT/A4000=CAR.COMMENT;
CCMOT1/A4000=CTRAN(4000, CCMOT, 59, 32, CCMOT1);

WebFOCUS 7.6.X/7.7.X
Windows
all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
You will need to be careful of the size of the combined comment field.

How many comments could there be, and waht size is the field. If you go over 4000 characters, the you will have a problem.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
DEFINE?

Posts: 3 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: May 28, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In lieu of a comments column in the CAR file, I used the STANDARD equipment column because there are multiple entries per car.

DEFINE FILE CAR
 CNTRY_CAR/A26 = COUNTRY | CAR ;
 COMMENT/A1000V = IF CNTRY_CAR NE LAST CNTRY_CAR THEN STANDARD ELSE ( LAST COMMENT | ' ' | STANDARD );
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 SUM LST.COMMENT AS 'COMMENTS'
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
-* BY STANDARD
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It need have data all sorted using define else use compute?

Kofi

Client Server 8.1.05: Apache; Tomcat;Windows Server 2012
Reporting Server 8.1.05; Oracle; MS SQL; Windows Server 2012

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all of you for your replies. I used Dan's method which is perfectly matched with my requirement.

Thanks again!

WebFOCUS 8.2.05
Windows 2003
Excel, HTML, PDF