Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Alphabetical index
 Login/Join

posted
Hi

I am trying to find options where I can do the following:

If I have a list of last names in my database, I want to be able to create an alphabetical list of only the alphabets that have last names. For example, if my last names in the database are Brown, Jackson, Jones, Williams and Young then I want a list(index) of B, J, W and Y.

Then when I select "J" in this index I want to go straight to Jackson and from there if I select "B" I want to skip straight to Brown.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
you can do a define with
DEFINE FILE NAMELIST
FCHAR/A1=EDIT(LASTNAME,'9');
END
TABLE FILE NAMELIST
COUNT LASTNAMES
BY FCHAR
END

Now you will get a basic list

The second report is

DEFINE FILE NAMELIST
FCHAR/A1=EDIT(LASTNAME,'9');
END
TABLE FILE NAMELIST
PRINT LASTNAMES
WHERE FCHAR EQ '&FCHAR';
END

Create the drill down from the first one or you can build a PDF report with both reports in one.

Search here on "Drill Through" by Francis Mariani to see an example

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
DEFINE FILE CAR
CHAR/A1 = EDIT (CAR,'9')
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
     CHAR NOPRINT
     CAR
     BODYTYPE
WHERE CHAR EQ '&CHAR.CHAR.';
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
END

DEFINE FILE CAR
CHAR/A1 = EDIT (CAR,'9')
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     CNT.CAR AS ''
BY CHAR
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=10,
$
TYPE=DATA,
     FOCEXEC=app/drillcar(CHAR=N1),
$
ENDSTYLE
END 

Above the example of the drilldown as referenced in the above. I did it on the fly so to speak in just a few minutes.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Actually, you can achieve this in a single pass with the little used facility of BYTOC in HTML (this will give you a different result in EXL2K) -
APP PATH IBISAMP
DEFINE FILE EMPDATA
  LASTNAMEINIT/A1 = EDIT(LASTNAME,'9$');
END
TABLE FILE EMPDATA
PRINT LASTNAME
      FIRSTNAME
      MIDINITIAL
      TITLE
   BY LASTNAMEINIT NOPRINT
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML BYTOC
END

When run, the output will have a small "control" that looks like a table of contents icon (because that's what it provides Wink). Click on this to open the "control" and you will find your alphabetic listing. Click on an initial letter to show that portion of the report.

You can move the "control" around just like any other window so that you can see all of your data. The "control" default position on load is the top left hand corner of your report window.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony, this can work in HTML but in PDF?

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Quite right Frank, but the original question did not ask for a specific output format.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony

how about this variant?

APP PATH IBISAMP
DEFINE FILE EMPDATA
  LASTNAMEINIT/A1 = EDIT(LASTNAME,'9$');
END
TABLE FILE EMPDATA
PRINT
     LASTNAME
     FIRSTNAME
     MIDINITIAL
     TITLE
BY LASTNAMEINIT NOPRINT
HEADING
"<LASTNAMEINIT <LASTNAMEINIT "
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS 'TOTAL'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='TAHOMA',
     SIZE=9,
     COLOR='BLACK',
     BACKCOLOR='NONE',
     STYLE=NORMAL,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
     LINE=1,
     OBJECT=FIELD,
     ITEM=2,
     TOC=1,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Frank

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good One Very good Frank, another one of those useful facilities often overlooked by the wide WF community.

Now tell me, what's your favorite bedtime reading? (apart from the style manual) Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I harly read in bed, only do a sudoku...

Frank

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will try them out and see what works.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Very interesting. I've never done that before, now I'll try to find a practical use for this technique.

Thanks,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
where are you trying to do this? In other words is this in a report or do you want to do this in a self service front end so that you have a list box that will do it.

If it's the report I once wrote one that essentially turned a large amount of data into an expandable HTML document with the plus/minus thing. Click on on of them and it expanded or contracted. This was a combination of FOCUS and DHTML. If this is what you want I'd have to look up the code. If it's in the front end then it's straight DHTML you'll need to use.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

expandable HTML document with the plus/minus thing

do you mean the ACCORDION

TABLE FILE CAR
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
BY BODYTYPE
BY SEATS
BY DEALER_COST
BY SALES
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE SET EXPANDABLE ON
END

Frank