Focal Point
nested includes in masterfiles

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4871008331

October 16, 2004, 02:13 PM
<BIGIRON>
nested includes in masterfiles
I ask me why I cannot issue a include statement
in a masterfile. Data-areas are often identical in layout,
i.e. a IMS root-only database-segment which is backed up in a datawarehouse as a DB2 table or as a sequential file or vice versa.

why not having a syntax like:

FILENAME=IMSDB, SUFFIX=IMS,$
SEGNAME=ROOT ............
-INCLUDE ABC

and member ABC contains:

FIELDNAME=XX, ALIAS=ZZZ, USAGE=A20, ACTUAL=A10, $
FIELDNAME=AA, ALIAS=BBB, USAGE=A20, ACTUAL=A10, $
a.s.o

the definition can now be reused i.e.

FILENAME=SEQFILE, SUFFIX=FIX,$
SEGNAME=ROOT ............
-INCLUDE ABC

no one except me has a need for it ?
October 18, 2004, 03:33 PM
TexasStingray
I do not believe that WebFOCUS/FOCUS pars master file like procedures. In the case of IMS files. IMS file can have INDEX indicators as part of the ALIAS name which tells WebFOCUS/FOCUS to generate the correct Statements to utilize the keys/indexs/and secondary indexes as well.

As far as DB2 you can create master files with nocols (no columns). However, this can create a performance issue. In that every time column information is needed it must query DB2 to get the information. This can be good if you have a table that is changing quite often. This way there is no need to recreate the master file.

Hope this helps
October 18, 2004, 05:34 PM
<BIGIRON>
well, despite of this

my focus is on the statements describing the data.
i don't want annother parsing logic or someting else, only the include facility.
If I accidentically do something wrong (IMS-index against a seq. file) this kind of error is already catched by the masterfile parser.