Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] XML data import

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] XML data import
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to WF and need to know the best way to import or load an XML file into a FOCUS table or to convert the XML into a usable format like a fix or flat file. Thanks. joe

DevStudio 7.6.2
WF Suze Linux

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Configuration Date: 10/31/2007
Build Date: 09/15/2007
Gen Number: 231
Release: 763
Source Date: 09/14/2007
WF jar seq number: 71
WF jar release: 7.6.3
Build Sys: Linux Kernel-2.6.5-glibc-2.3.3 zSeries 64bit
Support Sys: Linux Kernel-2.6.5-glibc-2.3.3 and up zSeries 64bit

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Joe,

Check with IBI. They do have an XML adaptor that can be configured to read these files.

Rich

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
While Rich's suggestion is the most straightforward, it will also cost $$ for the additional XML adapter. If you open the XML file in Excel, does it appear correctly in columns? You could then save as flat file or comma-delimited, move it to your WF server, create a Master File to describe it, and you've got what you need.

You would need to follow these steps for every XML file that you want to access.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What is the intended use of your XML file?

If purely to display the entire contents then look at using an XSL file to display it.

If you need to select only certain records then, as Darin says, open the file in Excel which has the ability to convert XML files, even creating it's own schema if you do not have the reference to one in the XML file itself.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will need to build an automated process that pulls in XML files and loads them to table(s). I read that Maintain does not support XML directly, so, I will need to get them into native Focus or some other maintain addressable format. Any thoughts or best practices? .. thanks

Configuration Date: 10/31/2007
Build Date: 09/15/2007
Gen Number: 231
Release: 763
Source Date: 09/14/2007
WF jar seq number: 71
WF jar release: 7.6.3
Build Sys: Linux Kernel-2.6.5-glibc-2.3.3 zSeries 64bit
Support Sys: Linux Kernel-2.6.5-glibc-2.3.3 and up zSeries 64bit

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe, Did you get the XML Adaptor working OK ? Or did you go down another route ? I am hoping to use this myself so keen to hear of others experiences. Cheers....

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
No, I am only able to do it manually with the create synonym tool. I'd bet there is a way to issue a CREATE SYNONYM command and then dump the data into a hold file for further processing. I just can't find it anywhere. j

Linux/zVM/WF7.6.11

Posts: 29 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: June 06, 2008Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Additional info: We already purchased the XML adapter. I can create the synonym manually however I need a way to do it programatically i.e. in a FEX.

Linux/zVM/WF7.6.11

Posts: 29 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: June 06, 2008Report This Post