Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] column numbers in AppStudio text editor

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] column numbers in AppStudio text editor
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We are newly on 82 and AppStudio, and I know in this day and age it is uncool to admit we still write code, but I wandering if anyone has found a column number indicator in the AppStudio text editor (you know, like DevStudio had).

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid App Studio is missing that feature. It has the line numbers in the text editor but no column number. I suggest you add your name to the list of users who've asked for this to be added in by opening a case with IB Tech Support and requesting a new feature.

P.S. It's totally cool to code. Half the stuff I do can't be done in the GUI and the ability to add code makes WebFOCUS that much more robust. Smiler

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Babak, thanks for the confirmation, and have a great weekend.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Another option is to use an external editor, many have been suggested in previous posts.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
My advice would be to use an external editor. The editor that I use and suggest is Visual Studio Code. The beauty of VS Code is that there is a WebFOCUS Extension, created by Venkata Paruchuri, that you can add to it that provides syntax highlighting, snippets, and intellisense.

VS Code is a powerful, feature rich code editor that is gaining real momentum in the developer community. It includes in the bottom right of the window, the line and col ( Ln#, Col# ) of the cursor position that you are looking for. Some of my favorite out of the box features in VS Code are multi-line cursor (edit multiple lines of code and the same time), theme options, and Auto Save. Not to mention the huge amount of extensions available for it.

You can set up AppStudio to work in conjunction with VS Code (or any other code editor) by going to AppStudio > Options > General and at the bottom of that section change the Default file editor to "Edit in Windows registered tool" and make sure that the "Sync with WebFOCUS" checkbox is checked. Then you need to associate in windows, the file extensions (.fex and any others that you may want) to open with VS Code. Then when you double click a file in AppStudio, the code will open in VS Code and you can edit it there. Any saved changes you make in VS Code will be synced with AppStudio, and saved to the Repository.

I hope that this helps you as much as it has help me and my team.

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Visual Studio Code.

Have you had any issues with Visual Studio Code ?

I know that some editors have caused zero length files, and opening the same names files from different locations can cause the one to overwrite the other.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know that some editors have caused zero length files, and opening the same names files from different locations can cause the one to overwrite the other.

I haven't experienced either of these. The only issue that I have found is an AppStudio one. I've been having issues with AppStudio authentication with the reporting server (case opened for a few months now and IBI cannot figure it out) and sometimes I get a seemingly random authentication error within AppStudio. Then the file that I have open in VS Code will no longer save and I have to close down AppStudio, the file in VS Code and reopen both.

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
So, what's the best Text Editor for App Studio (82+), Ultra Edit? Visual Studio Code? Other?

Ref: http://forums.informationbuild...117067096#4117067096

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
For me its EditPlus, been using it for nearly 20 years.

I even uploaded syntax highlighting files to there user files area. (Um, er, in 1999 Cool) Should update it again.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I use Notepad++, which has a lot of nice features, though I miss TextPad. But- I have never been able to make the final leap because I find having the RUN button available for incremental changes too alluring.

Regarding Babak's comment- Hey Chuck: how about if Focal Pointers get their OWN Enhancements list, instead of having to open a case?

Just Thinking out loud... Smiler

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Steve

I will check out that possibility...

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Your suggestion has been sent up the line before but upper management has not approved this change. Sorry.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post