Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Reportcaster Pre-Processing Procedure Issue

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Reportcaster Pre-Processing Procedure Issue
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hey guys,

I am hoping that someone a little bit more experienced and knowledgeable in Reportcaster can point me in the right direction.

I have a lot of schedules in Reportcaster that execute procedures that need a "Year" parameter to run. Now, from looking at a lot of previous threads on this, I have come to the assumption that if I ran a pre-processing procedure in my schedule, that pre-processing procedure could "feed" my schedule/procedure a value to put in the parameter. I might be totally off base here, so feel free to correct me if I'm gathering the wrong conclusions.

So I have a primary procedure (PreProcTest2.fex) that needs a "Year" parameter, and I've written a Pre-processing procedure (PreProcTest.fex) that saves a table and then READs from that table to produce a variable "&YEAR".

The goal is to have "&YEAR" be used as the parameter value for my primary procedure that I'm scheduling. Is this the right way to accomplish my goal? If so, when setting up the Task Parameters, do I just put the literal string "&YEAR" (without quotes) as the value for the "Year" parameter?

Also, how do I properly reference my Pre-Processing procedure in the Pre/Post-Procedures section? Right now I'm using something that looks like: "/WFC/Repository/institut/std_reports/user8/Test/PreprocTest.fex" but I keep getting a Task error: THE FOCEXEC PROCEDURE CANNOT BE FOUND: so I've got to be referencing it wrong there.

Thank you guys for any and all help you can give me!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.105M, Windows 10, App Studio

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I've tried to use the pre-processing procedure in the past, but never had much luck.

Now I just schedule out a fex that includes multiple fex's.

For example:

ReportCaster schedules sch_report.fex

sch_report.fex:
-DEFAULT &YEAR = '2017';

-INCLUDE PreProcTest.fex
-INCLUDE PreProcTest2.fex

WebFOCUS 8.2.03
z/OS

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does
quote:
"/WFC/Repository/institut/std_reports/user8/Test/PreprocTest.fex

is Published ?

Have you referenced using RC GUI ?

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
My limited experience would suggest the following:

+ First, move your pre-processing procedure to the Applications area. Your path should look something like "application_name/my_proc.fex". In my version of App Studio, there's a button on the left called "First" that you can use to browse. You might not realize that it's a button, but click it anyway!

+ Second, if you're defining a value for the variable, you don't have to supply a value in Report Caster - just remove it from the parameters list.

I believe this to be correct; please let us know if you find otherwise!

WebFocus 8201m on Windows; App Studio 8201; Procedures: WebFocus with SQL; HTML Parameter Pages & Dashboard; Output: Excel, HTML, & PDF.

Posts: 88 | Location: MI | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartinY:
Does
quote:
"/WFC/Repository/institut/std_reports/user8/Test/PreprocTest.fex

is Published ?

Have you referenced using RC GUI ?

It is published. I'm not sure what referencing in the RC GUI is referring to. When I look at the log, it looks like this:

"Task domain: institut/

Retrieving WebFOCUS Report: IBFS:/WFC/Repository/institut/std_reports/user8/Test/PreprocTest2.fex

Connecting to server EDASERVE with execution id rray9895 at 2017-03-02 16:24:20.799-0600 (1,488,493,460,799)

Connection to the Reporting Server EDASERVE established at 2017-03-02 16:24:20.812-0600 (1,488,493,460,812)

The time to establish a connection to the Reporting Server EDASERVE was 0.013 seconds

Executing pre-rpc: /WFC/Repository/institut/std_reports/user8/Test/PreprocTest.fex

/WFC/Repository/institut/std_reports/user8/Test/PreprocTest.fex

Task error: THE FOCEXEC PROCEDURE CANNOT BE FOUND: "

quote:
Originally posted by Mathematical Rob:

I'm behind the times, and not using App Studio yet (My IT people have been telling me that I will upgrade "Soon" for a while now). There is just text for "First:". I actually tried clicking it to see if it actually was secretly a button, but it wasn't Frowner

But based on what you are saying, I am going to try institut/PreprocTest.fex in that field and see what happens!

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Nope!

Mathematical Rob (or anyone else that successfully uses a pre-processing procedure) can you post the part of your Log File that references the Pre-Processed report so I can see what syntax or path I'm supposed to be putting into that field?

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The pre processing procedure needs to reside on your reporting server (EDASERVE) in one of your app path directories. For example, if your store your pre processing ../ibi/apps/baseapp then you would reference in as baseapp/PreprocTest.fex

8.8.09 - z/Linux (WF, Report Caster, Report Library).
Iway FFS on MVS (HFS)

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: December 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I got it now!

Okay, so I don't know if the rest of you have issues with how your environment is set up, but here was the problem for us. The way our environment was set up is that all of our procedures exist in the Content Tree.

I had to move my procedure under the Data Server for it to recognize it. For me that is Data Server > EDASERVE > Applications > newapp > Procedures. None of my other procedures exist there, so that is why I didn't think to do it that way.

Once I did this, I was able to call the procedure by typing "newapp/PreprocTest.fex

I still need to figure out how to properly pass the parameters from the Pre Proc to the scheduled task, but I at least solved one issue.