Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Exl07 output fails HTTP 500 EXCELSERVURL

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Exl07 output fails HTTP 500 EXCELSERVURL
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
When I generate a report in EXL07 format it fails with the error message "(FOC3230) HTTP REQUEST RETURNED ERROR: 500 (EXCELSERVURL)".
From testing this happens when the file gets over 150kb somewhere near 200kb in size. No matter the number of columns or records as long as it's under 150kb or so the report runs fine and generates the .xlsx file.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Webfocus 8.1.0.5
Windows 2008
Excel,PDF,HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try with the following setting :

Go to Administration Console / Client Settings then change Excel Server URL to option : Reporting Server JSCOM. Save / Clear Cache / Close and try back your report

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martin, That worked well. It's not more explicit. It used to be: change 'default' to a space.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have a similar issue and resolved it the same way. I am upgrading from 8.0.0.7 to 8.2.0.2M

If I enter the command SET EXECSERVURL='' I will get the same correct result.

My preference is to put it in the Admin Console so there is no need to add the SET command to all the programs that are either EXL07 or XLSX.

So know that works is great, thanks for the help.

Now a similar question when I run the same report locally in my App Studio.

Even if I add the correct SET command, when the report runs, it gives me the following error:

CPJAVA: Error in processing INIT command for Class ibi.jsexcel.JscomExcelZip/ Ensure JSCOM3(JVM) service is running; check -Djava.class.path in edaprint.log

Again, this is only when I run the report locally on my machine.

Any ideas about this?

Thanks.

Paul

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Martin, Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I cannot get to the administration console on the webserver, I can only get to the app server admin console. I'm guessing you are saying go to the admin console on the web server, correct? I've never had to go to the admin console on the web server and I'm receiving page cannot be displayed. Our admin console on the app server works fine, I go there all the time. I did log into the web server remotely and I still received Page Cannot be displayed when trying to access the admin console. Is there any other path I can go to make your suggested change from the web server while I'm logged into it, meaning some folder location where I can make the JSCOM update for the Reporting Server option?

Webfocus 8.1.0.5
Windows 2008
Excel,PDF,HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
MikeW,
quote:
I cannot get to the administration console
Just add "admin" after the "ibi_apps" URL: http://{something}/ibi_apps/admin". Do you till get the page not found? If so, it's most likely a security setting. Ask your admins about gaining that access.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike

Let me try to take some of the mystery out of this.

You want the WebFOCUS client administration console. Here are the steps to get to make Martins suggested change:

1) Download the WF 8105m security manual

2) Chapter 4 Using the Administration Console
3) Go down to Accessing the Administration Console (page 79).

http(s)://hostRazzerort:webfocus_context_directory/console/webfocusconsole.jsp

4) Expand the Client / General part of the tree. You can read up on the settings in here down around page 124 for IBIF_excelservurl and other things.

And you're right of course about this setting probably laying around in a file someplace. It's under ibi\WebFOCUS81\client\wfc\etc\cgivars.wfs. But - the preferred method of changing this is to use the WF Admin Console.

You should see a menu option for starting up the Administration Console if you have permissions. Look in the top right of your logon screen where you user id and Sign Out are probably visible. It should be up there.

Now, if you are not able to open the administration console, then you need to get your admin to make that change globally by using the console. The caveat here is that these settings in the console are really only meant to be changed by people who administer the whole environment for everyone. If that's not you -just ask whoever it is to make the change for you.

You may need to explain what it does. Basically it shifts the load of building your Excel files away from the web application server (often tomcat for people using windows) and puts that load on the WebFOCUS Reporting Server. This is generally more efficient for people - tomcat only has so much memory and if someone is building an Infoassist report for example, you tomcat may be pretty busy. This change will help offload that work.

Paul and Mike. JSCOM3 is used to render your Excel or Graph output (I always prefer to set both URLs to use the reporting server).

There are several ways to make sure your JSCOM3 service started up okay -it should be starting up automatically when you start up the WebFOCUS Reporting Server. If you have access to look at the drive:\ibi\srv8x\wfs\edaprint.log, you can search starting from the top for JSCOM3. You should hit notes telling you that it started okay.

For example, in 8105m for Mike, you'll see something like this (it's a little spaced apart in edaprint.log, but you'll get the idea):

JSCOM3 started (pid=2104,jscomid=1)
D:\ibi\srv81\home\etc\java\java16\jscom3.jar
JSCOM3 (jscomid=1) started JVM with 5 options:
D:\ibi\srv81\home\etc\java\java16\jscom3.jar
JSCOM3 (jscomid=1) located JVM version 1.8.0_45 by Oracle Corporation
[jscomid=1] JSCOM3 listening on tcp 0.0.0.0:8123

Paul - it's likely the WFRS (WebFOCUS Reporting Server) doesn't know where your Java Runtime Engine is.

In your edaprint.log of your 'real' environment where it works, you may see something like this:

Configuration settings from d:\ibi\srv82\wfs\bin\edaenv.cfg:
JAVA_HOME=D:\jre

I used to end up doing this just about all the time. edaenv.cfg is not there by default. Notice it's location is under wfs\bin.

For the docs on this so you will have them in the future, grab the WF8202m Server Installation manual

And look on page 22 and 23 for the steps to make this file using the WFRS console.

For 8204, the hope is that finding the JRE will be even more automatic so you don't need to use edaenv.cfg for that purpose.

Hope the manuals help.

Let us know if you're still stuck and everyone will try to help.

Toby Mills

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I was able to get to the Admin Console from the BI Portal. Under Configuration->Client Settings->Reporting Server I only have IBI_REPORT_USER, IBI_REPORT_PASS, IBI_REPORT_SERVER, IBIC_passdelim. I don't see any item related to excel server url. However, I did find this under the General section of Client Settings:
IBIF_excelservurl | &IBI_WEBAPP_CONTEXT_ROOT.
IBI_WEBAPP_CONTEXT_ROOT | &IBI_WEBAPP_URL&IBIF_webapp
IBI_WEBAPP_URL | &URL_PROTOCOL://&SERVER_NAME:&SERVER_PORT
IBIF_webapp | {IBI_Webapp_Context_Default} Initial Value

Two last notes, this issue doesn't come up if the report is run through Report Caster, and this report is saving the xlsx file on the app server.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeW,

Webfocus 8.1.0.5
Windows 2008
Excel,PDF,HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Go to WebFOCUS client Administration / Administration Console Configuration / Application Settings / Client Settings then change "Excel Server URL" to : "Reporting Server JSCOM".
Save / Clear Cache / Close and try back your report.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Toby,

Thank you for your insight into this issue.

As I mentioned the problem is with my local machine.

I went out to the localhost reporting server and added JAVA_HOME=c:\...

I can't give you the location for security reasons, but I did what you mentioned.

I closed down App Studio and restarted it and I still have the same issue.

I am not sure if I did not do something correct that you asked me to do or not.

I did do an echo %JAVA_HOME% at the command level so I knew what to put into that file. I did it via the localhost reporting server and checked it after I brought App Studio back up and the command is still in the file, so I know it has been saved.

On that workspace tab, after I created the file, I did click on Restart, so I assume I did everything that correctly, but evidently I must have done something wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paul;

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry for my ignorance Martin. So you are saying Change:
IBIF_excelservurl | &IBI_WEBAPP_CONTEXT_ROOT

To:
IBIF_excelservurl | Reporting Serer JSCOM

Then save, clear cache, close, go back and run my report?

Webfocus 8.1.0.5
Windows 2008
Excel,PDF,HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike,

Just realized that your signature state WF 8105 so it's a little different.

Try the following setting : WF Client / Administration / Configuration / Client Settings / General and have IBIF_excelservurl set to blank.

In Focus since 2007

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martin, that worked!
Thanks Toby for all the info too!

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Any idea why it was set that way in the first place?

Webfocus 8.1.0.5
Windows 2008
Excel,PDF,HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Demystification Toby...