Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Executing CLIST from WebFOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Executing CLIST from WebFOCUS
 Login/Join

<MarkC>
posted
Hello,

Has anyone been able to execute a CLIST from WebFOCUS? I am an experienced mainframe FOCUS programmer, but new to WebFOCUS. I have been able to use DYNAM commands to ALLOC and SUB an external procedure, but none of my TSO commands are working so I cannot execute an external CLIST. There are no error messages returned when I use TSO commands, but they do not perform the utilities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
MarkC, Does the ID that is used to connect to the MVS Reporting Server have TSO Authority. Some time a generic user id is used to connect to a MVS server and that id may not have authority to issue TSO commands. This is if the server is running with external security. If the Server is not running with external security be sure the owner/taskid of the server has TSO authority. Hope this helps.

<MarkC>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TexasStingray:
[qb] MarkC, Does the ID that is used to connect to the MVS Reporting Server have TSO Authority. Some time a generic user id is used to connect to a MVS server and that id may not have authority to issue TSO commands. This is if the server is running with external security. If the Server is not running with external security be sure the owner/taskid of the server has TSO authority. Hope this helps. [/qb]
I believe I have TSO authority - how would I confirm this?

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
One way to check to see if you have access is to logon to TSO.

Here lets try to issue a simple TSO Command. You should be able to issue a

? TSO DDNAME

from within the FOCEXEC just as you do for FOCUS. This will list all allocated datasets. Hopefully you will get something

<MarkC>
posted
I do have TSO authority on my ID. I could successfully execute the ? TSO DDNAME command, but the TSO ALLOC command is still not working. I have it coded as
- TSO ALLOC FILE(SYSPROC) DA(dataset) SHR
I have also coded a DYNAM ALLOC statement and that works.
Are there any other parameters that need to be set before you can execute TSO in WebFOCUS?

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The server running on the mainframe is not running under TSO. It is usually just a started task. Thus Tso commands like alloc do not not work but Dynams will. We develope online all the time with a TSO Focus session session but remove all TSO commands for any batch focus mainframe jobs (allocates will be done via JCL) or change TSO allocs to Dynams for online Webfocus processes.

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
<MarkC>
posted
So are you able to execute an external CLIST from within WebFOCUS? Can you use the TSO EX command from within WebFOCUS?

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
ET, If -TSO DDNAME works will not most, if not all -TSO commands work?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the command "-TSO DDNAME" you refer to. What does it do? I do use "? TSO DDNAME" which brings back the files allocated to my focus session but I do not think that it is a real TSO command. A real tso command would be one that can be issued within TSO itself outside of FOCUS. I believe that FOCUS just passes off any TSO command to the TSO command processor. Thus one has to be inside of TSO for it to work.

ET

Master
posted Hide Post
Sorry that what I mean -? TSO DDNAME

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought you were referring to. As I pointed out earlier this command is not a TSO command. This command also works on our mainframe WEBFOCUS server too and returns all the files that are allocated to the web initiated session whereas a TSO ALLOC (or COPY etc, commands that start with TSO not a ?) do not work. In our case our mainframe server is just a started task and is running at a more basic machine level operating system and outside of TSO. This to me would be expected behaviour that TSO commands would not work.

ET

<MarkC>
posted
It appears that my server is also set up as a started task. Does this mean I cannot execute a CLIST via TSO EX command from within my WebFOCUS?

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
To run a TSO clist requires that the process is running inside of TSO. I would guess that it is highly unlikely (if it is even possible) your server is running inside of a TSO session. I think that you would not be able to run a TSO clist in your environment. It would really make no sense as the maximum amount of system memory and resources allocated to one TSO session is based on one user running one task at a time. Something like a webfocus server would need system resources to handle many times more concurrent users/processes at the same time.

et

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Just an update on this thread as it led me to raising the question with IB.

I asked if there was any way possible to obtain the -? TSO DDNAME variables within a REMOTE BEGIN/END command. At present it isnt possible but part of the reply contained...... "The good news is that this has been submited as a new feature
and should be available in the near future (exact date unknown)."

This will prove extremely useful when released Smiler

81.05 All formats

Posts: 56 | Location: Manchester | Registered: November 21, 2006Report This Post