Focal Point
[Solved] Text field is cleared inconsistently

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4977082096

May 31, 2018, 03:39 PM
Deana
[Solved] Text field is cleared inconsistently
Good afternoon,

I have recently written a new module for my customer using Maintain 7.7.03. During testing, I had an issue reported which has me perplexed.

Users at 2 remote facilities are not able to read an error message I output to a text field on my form, before the field is cleared. They are able to see that the field is updated, but it is quickly cleared. Another user, in the same town as myself, but at a separate location and I have both tested. The message stays on our screens, until we actively select a control on the form.

I created a test user. When I log in as this user on my machine, the message is retained on the form. When a tech from one of the remote sites logged in using the same account, the message was quickly displayed and then cleared.

Since, the test user works on my machine, but not on the remote machine, I think I can rule out any 'user' based permissions. I have compared the version of IE, Compatibility View, Trusted Sites, Browsing History, Use SSL, and USE TLS settings as these settings have caused issues in the past. The settings are identical.

Has anyone else ever run into this issue? Are there other settings I need to check?

Thank you,
Deana

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deana,

WebFOCUS 7.6.8 and 7.7.03; Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2, respectively; Development environments - Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows 7 Professional, respectively;
excel, html, pdf
June 04, 2018, 11:33 AM
FP Mod Chuck
Hi Deana

Since no one has replied please open a case with techsupport if you haven't already..

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
June 04, 2018, 11:52 AM
Maintain Wizard
Deana
When you say a TEXT field, do you mean a field/ editbox or an actual line of text.

Please let me know how you are displaying the message. Placing it in an editbox may solve the issue.

Mark
June 05, 2018, 02:00 PM
Deana
Chuck,

I will open a case when I return to the office tomorrow. Although, I am not certain it is truly a WebFOCUS issue vs browser or computer settings. Since it works for some users and not others.

Mark,

It is an edit box already. Sorry for not making that clear earlier. Below is the steps users follow my code.

1. User clicks ‘Delete’ Button
2. Screen flashes. User can see lettering in text box, but does not have time to read it
3. Screen flashes, text box is cleared

Step 3 only happens for certain users. Based on what I have been able to determine, even though the last line of the code being executed is to populate the text box, something is happening to trigger PopEnrollment and/or PopAttendance to be executed a second time before control returns to the form.

Here is the code
CASE DeleteRecord
COMPUTE
StkEnrollment.FOCINDEX = EnrollmentIndex;
sqlErrorCode = 0;
UpdateMessage = '';

STACK CLEAR StkAttendance
REPOSITION attendance. ATTENDANCE. ATTENDANCEID
FOR 1 NEXT attendance. ATTENDANCE. ATTENDANCEID
INTO StkAttendance
WHERE attendance. ATTENDANCE. ENROLLMENTID EQ StkEnrollment ().ENROLLMENTID;

IF (StkAttendance.FOCCOUNT GT 0) THEN
BEGIN
COMPUTE
UpdateMessage = 'Attendance records exist. Unable to delete enrollment record.' ;
ENDBEGIN
ELSE
BEGIN
COMPUTE
UpdateMessage = ‘Enrollment record deleted.' ;
StkDeleteEnrollment (1). ENROLLMENTID = StkEnrollment ().ENROLLMENTID;

FOR 1 DELETE
enrollment.ENROLLMENT.ENROLLMENTID FROM StkDeleteEnrollment (1);
COMPUTE
sqlErrorCode = SYS_MGR.dbms_errorcode;
COMMIT
ENDBEGIN

PERFORM PopEnrollment -* Repopulates all enrollment information for the course
PERFORM PopAttendance -* Repopulates the current months enrollment for the course

COMPUTE
FormMessage = If (sqlErrorCode EQ 0) THEN UpdateMessage
ELSE 'An error occurred during the delete, please try again.';
InmateMessage = FormMessage;
ENDCASE

For now, I have created a form with a text box to display the message and a button to close the new form. This seems to work to display the message long enough for the user to see the message.

Deana

WebFOCUS 7.6.8 and 7.7.03; Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2, respectively; Development environments - Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows 7 Professional, respectively;
excel, html, pdf
June 06, 2018, 01:40 PM
Maintain Wizard
I will take a look at your case.
June 18, 2018, 11:40 AM
Deana
Mark and Chuck,
I found the solution.

On the same form, I have a datagrid. In my javascript file for this form, I have the JSGridOnload function. In this function, I was setting the focus on the first column the customer had permissions to update. Users with full permissions can change information starting with the 3rd column in the grid. Users with read write permission can only change column 5 in the grid. When I commented the code to set focus on a specific column of the datagrid, the text box was not cleared for any users.

This still does not explain why the behavior was different for my test user account that I set up. We tested this user with full and read write permissions on both my computer and the computer of an user at the remote site. When testing on my machine, the text box was never cleared. When testing on the remote machine, the text box was always cleared.

In the end, the message is staying in the text box until the user actively clicks on a control or enters information.

excel, html, pdf