Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Re: WF source control apps

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Re: WF source control apps
 Login/Join

posted
What are everyone out there using to source control their WF server apps object which include MR, Dashboard, EDA server object etc.

We were using VSS before but the fact that it uses files and is must older compared to TFS is kind of scarey to me.

Thanks,

RD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.1
Windows
ALL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It won't be easy to get all those locations included - from the developers' point of view they live on IBFS, which is only available from within Dev Studio. Unfortunately, integration with most source control systems in Dev Studio is minimal at best.
The way WebFOCUS is set up doesn't lend itself well for source control, as files tend to be on a remote system and spread out across several hierarchies (some of which are controlled by data files, like the dashboard). We haven't found a satisfactory approach to source control yet, but for just reporting it's workable.

You can put central repositories on a server (a repository per location seems easiest) and do your commits remotely. Or you can mount the remote file systems from your server on your development machines and use your source control system of choice from within that mountpoint.
A drawback of the latter (which is what we use) is that changes from different people tend to get mixed up in the commits, as it's the same file-system for everyone. Dev Studio also infrequently complains about a "file being under source control", which it doesn't even know about as we didn't turn on that option! This usually seems to happen when the server (wf-client) is under some load.

We're using Mercurial at the moment (with TortoiseHg), but have been using Subversion in the past. I've also heard good things about Git.
I'd steer clear of Microsoft products for this kind of thing, as they have a habit of reinventing wheels (badly!) and are very slow on bugfixes and improvements - look at Internet Explorer, for example.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Wep, how do source control systems deal with the MRE .htm file for Domains and Dashboard views?

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's pretty much what I was referring to when I said WebFOCUS doesn't lend itself very well to source control systems.

I think you should take this up with IBI tech support, they should know best. If necessary they could even make changes ("if you don't fire you'll never hit" is an old saying here) to better accommodate putting these files under source control. That probably won't be available until some future version though...

Here are my thoughts on the matter, although I have to say I'm not very familiar with MRE and we've only used the Dashboard views for a short time (we didn't like them, so we replaced them). Most of the files involved are just files, although not all of them are easily put under source control.

The Dashboard files are in an odd location (ibi/WebFOCUSxyz/worp) and in fact split over several subdirectories based on the user the dashboard is for, but ultimately they are just files. The big challenge is of course to keep the relation between the user directories as they appear in the configuration xml-files and the actual directories under source control.

Perhaps you could keep your source controlled directories with their own directory-names and map those to worp user directories using symbolic links (Windows doesn't have those) or some-such.
Or perhaps some source control systems that support event-hook scripts (on commit, for example) can be taught to look into specific xml configuration files and update the necessary repository entries when required.

There's also some stuff in databases, such as the ReportCaster configuration.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post