Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Is there a way without purchasing a specific LDAP adapter to query LDAP

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Is there a way without purchasing a specific LDAP adapter to query LDAP
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have a report request where they want an employee's Description and Location (located in active directory) included.

I see there is a purchasable LDAP connector but as I can't see more need that this one report that is not an option.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8202M
Client: Windows Server 2012R2/Tomcat 8.0/IIS
Server: IBM i v7r2m0
MS-SQL

Posts: 28 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: March 03, 2011Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Quote from the IBI fee schedule.

Access to LDAP
The WebFOCUS Reporting Server can access and interoperate with LDAP at
no additional charge.

Scott

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Ok. So how do I go about connecting into it then?

WebFOCUS 8202M
MS-SQL

Posts: 28 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: March 03, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Is that true, the LDAP adapter is free ?

I was under the impression that it was the authorisation part of the reporting server that you could point to LDAP for free.

FYI

Dev Studio can do it, as it has all adapters.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Waz is correct. Based on the information we were provided at our local IBI office, LDAP can only be used from WebFOCUS for the purpose of Authentication.Authorization at no additional charge. If you require to access an LDAP repository for reporting purposes then you'll have to license the appropriate iWay adapter.

We had a similar need a while back and decided to use a slightly different approach, where we use a VB script to connect to Active Directory, extract user/group information to a CSV file and load its content into a couple of tables in our data warehouse on a daily basis. We can then use WebFOCUS metadata to query those tables using our regular iWay Oracle adapter and build the reports we needed. This approach works for us because user information is relatively stable so live connections to Active Directory are not necessary for our reports.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I am actually thinking njsden that we may end up using that approach if I have no direct way to go about it.

WebFOCUS 8202M
MS-SQL

Master
posted Hide Post
There is also a build in function that will get a list of GROUPS that a user is part of from AD, if the Reporting Server is configured for LDAP Authentication.

-SET &LIST = GRPLIST(32000, 'A32000');

The maximum length that I could get it to work with is 32000 characters.

Not sure when this function was introduced but it there in WebFOCUS 8x

Scott

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
Some quick tests:

7.1.6: (FOC263) EXTERNAL FUNCTION OR LOAD MODULE NOT FOUND: GRPLIST
7.6.6: (FOC263) EXTERNAL FUNCTION OR LOAD MODULE NOT FOUND: GRPLIST
7.6.12: (FOC263) EXTERNAL FUNCTION OR LOAD MODULE NOT FOUND: GRPLIST
7.7.05M: Returned a blank string for me

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I tried GRPLIST in 8.0.07 and got a blank list as well.

WebFOCUS 8202M
MS-SQL

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
GRPLIST worked for me in 7.7.05M. It provided me with a colon-separated list of all AD groups my account is a part of in AD. Interesting!

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.