Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
tnsnames Issues
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to connect to an Oracle9i database server through WebFocus 5.3. Our development process involves moving our procedures, synonyms, and metadata to another server where we may or may not have access to the Oracle tnsnames.ora file that WebFocus uses.

Is there a way to either (a) redirect where WebFocus looks for this tnsnames file, allowing us to specify our own, or (b) dynamically assigning server/connection names so that we need only change a config file, environment variable, etc when we make the switch?

Or perhaps there's even an option C that I'm compeletely missing.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'm not an Oracle expert but what you are describing is exactly how our environment is set up. I believe all you have to do is install the oracle client where webfocus lives. Then you will have a tnsnames.ora for the client to point at the database.

Posts: 90 | Location: Tinker AFB | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We've done that so far. The problem is that all of the access files for out metadata (*.acx) all point to the one tnsname listed in the edasprof.cfg. When we're pointing to server X on our development box, and then switch to our production server which has a different tnsnames.ora, we have to hack the tnsname.ora of our production box to have the same tnsname, but point to a different database.

What I'm asking is if there is a way to dynamically choose (say, at runtime, or server startup) this connection name in the ACX files? I would rather not have to go through and change all 50+ acx files every time I upload my latest build.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Generate the Masters and Access files once on both servers and don't include the Masters and Access files in your build upload.

I've put my Masters and Access files in an apps folder separate from the Fexes.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
[qb] Generate the Masters and Access files once on both servers and don't include the Masters and Access files in your build upload.

I've put my Masters and Access files in an apps folder separate from the Fexes. [/qb]
That is a good idea, however there's the problem that I won't know the tnsname of the Oracle server until I upload it. I want to try and avoid writing some script just to parse/edit the access files.

Is there a way to create a single access file, and then point all my master files back to it? If this is possible, I would only need to edit the single 'master' access file.