Focal Point
[DISCUSSION]HP-UX to Linux WebFOCUS and FOCUS

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5027049186

April 21, 2016, 04:16 PM
linus
[DISCUSSION]HP-UX to Linux WebFOCUS and FOCUS
The company I work for is preparing to upgrade WebFOCUS and FOCUS. We're currently on HP-UX and there's discussion about moving to Linux. I would like to know about any issues others have run into converting from HP-UX to Linux, any pointers to make the conversion smoother, and if it's worth it to convert.

Thanks,

Linda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF
April 21, 2016, 06:01 PM
Waz
I would have thought that unix to linux should be simple.

At least that last time I worked on HP-UX it was unix.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

April 22, 2016, 08:22 AM
linus
I had read in an old conversation on FocalPoint that some field formats changed when recreating the MFDs.
I know enough scripting to do what I need to do - we use crontab to run our overnight jobs. Does crontab exist in Linux? Is the scripting language identical or would our scripts have to be tweaked?

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF
April 22, 2016, 08:49 AM
Squatch
Yes, crontab exists in Linux. For shell scripting, you can use a variety of shells: bash, ksh, csh, sh, etc. Depending on the Linux distribution, some of those shells might not install by default. The bash shell tends to be the default shell.

App Studio
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M
Windows, All Outputs
April 22, 2016, 09:01 AM
jgelona
We did that maybe 10 years ago. We outgrew our HP-UX machine and migrated from FOCUS for HP-UX to WebFOCUS on an IBM Z mainframe running SUSE Linux. I don't remember that being particularly painful. Migrating from WebFOCUS 7.6 to WebFOCUS 8 was much harder.

Yes, crontab is there and all the shells, at least in our distribution of Linux.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.