Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
RECORDS & LINES
 Login/Join

<kvn>
posted
What's the difference between the two?

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Number of RECORDS selected vs number of LINES out. So if you use SUM, then LINES will likely be less than RECORDS.

Technically speaking - and someone please correct me if I am wrong - I guess RECORDS would be the number of rows in the internal matrix (or whatever they're calling it these days), and LINES would be the number of rows (without subtotals and such)in your report or hold file.

Posts: 135 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: March 23, 2005Report This Post
<kvn>
posted
The problem I'm having understanding this is that I have 2 reports. Each querying the same data with a WHERE clause on it. One report is using WebFocus and while the other uses SQL pass-through. It is then stored into a HOLD file. Both reports output the same data. I checked the source and WebFocus builds a very similar query as being used for the sql pass-through report. But after the HOLD file both reports show me different things in the source. The number of records in the dataset is 41. Why does WebFocus say 123 Records but Lines is 41. While the SQL pass-through shows 41 for both.

SQL pass-through
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 41 LINES= 41

WebFocus code
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 123 LINES= 41

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like maybe something in the WF code is failing optimization so more rows are being returned to FOCUS (123 rows) and it finishes the processing which results in 41 lines.

If you turn on tracing for the WF code, you'll see what SQL is being generated. If optimization fails, the usual culprit is that aggregation is failing. The causes vary -- the use of DEFINEs that don't translate, aggregation on alphanumeric fields, using certain prefix operators, etc. If you tell me more about the WF code, I might be able to make a suggestion.

Posts: 118 | Location: DC | Registered: May 13, 2005Report This Post
<kvn>
posted
Trace is turned on. That's how I was able to check to make sure the WebFocus SQL being generated was the same as my pass-through query. There are no DEFINES used and the HOLD file is using the pass-through query or master file. Only 1 table is being used. I just find it odd that LINES is the record count while RECORDS isn't. Just curious why this is and what LINES truely represents? Since more RECORDS are coming back from the WebFocus "coded" report than the report using SQL pass-through; does this mean using pass-through has better performance?

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You said "WebFocus builds a very similar query" ... is it exactly the same as your pass through code?

Do some simple tests after the HOLD file, like count one field to determine how many records are in the hold file.

Post the WF code that creates the HOLD file and we'll take a look.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post