Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Create a Master File to an Excel File in SharePoint -- How?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Create a Master File to an Excel File in SharePoint -- How?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
There is an Excel file in Sharepoint that is updated by dozens of people, and I'd like to create a Master File to it. Has anyone done this, and if so, can you tell me how you made the connection?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Seriously, how do you all get access the Sharepoint data sources? I can't imagine I'm the first to have to deal with this.

Map the Sharepoint to a drive?
Attach directly to the file from WF/I-Way?
Have the source emailed to your server?

I'm pretty open, but I'm hoping not to have to enlist a Sharepoint programmer at my current org, as they are frightningly complicated people here.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
John

I was thinking that the Sharepoint adapter might be a way but in looking at the adapter admin guide it seems like it will only reference the sharepoint internal data. Monday I will reach out to NY and see if an excel spreadsheet would be available through that adapter.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
An option could be to use the rest api of sharepoint to retrieve the file:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-...-and-files-with-rest

It's a bit tricky, you won't need a sharepoint programmer, just someone who can work with rest api.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
John, you don't say what kind of systems you are using (windows only or window/unix/Linux, WebFOCUS version), but is seems to me you could create a drive share/drive mapping/symbolic link to the spreadsheet location and use the create synonym function in the reporting server.

One thing I've noticed is that if anything changes in the spreadsheet, col heading, format of dates, length of text fields, order of the columns or new columns added, you have to regenerate or manually update the master.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This is something I've tried.
The SharePoint Adapter will need to be licensed.

The SharePoint Drive adapter documentation shows how to map a SharePoint directory to a Reporting Server application.

Then, you just use the Excel adapter to create the metadata against the Excel Spreadsheet.

Excel support for the SharePoint Drive adapter starts with WebFOCUS 8207.17.

Posts: 229 | Location: New York | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post