Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Return value from child query form to parent form

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Return value from child query form to parent form
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi All,

I am doing some very cool stuff with the Google Maps API and want to clean up a data query condition. I have an HTML form which displays delivery sites on a Google Map using a bunch of Javascript. The delivery sites come from an XML source file which is created via WebFocus. I have a button on the map page (parent) that will recreate the XML file with a set of delivery sites based on a new date. Then the XML file is reloaded to display the new sites on the Google map. Here's the rub.

1) When the child query is executed to get the new data a popup window is displayed. I would like the query to run without any action on the screen.
2) Since the resultant data set could be empty (no lines) I would like to be able to let the user know that we are going to display new data - they will still see the old.

Now I can run the child query and close the window immediately from the parent form and you get a screen flash. Not horrible but certainly inelegant. I'd like to clean this up. But worse is: How can I know that the query returned records to then reload the data?

Ive tried writing the number of lines returned in the query into a hidden field on the query form and then have it write that back to the parent form into another hidden field. But javascript doesn't wait around when you call a function to execute the query. It just moves on to the next statement and the hidden field on the parent does not get populated with a value.

Anyone have any ideas?

By the way, I've done a lot of head banging to get this Google Map API stuff working with out using the IB wrappers. I'll be happy to share code if anyone is interested. This stuff is just too neat not to share ideas and tips.

Thanks,

Norb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What is the query returning that it can be held and used with a hidden form object?

Anytime you want to run a request and not have the request over right the screen, or open another browser, you will have to use an ajax call. If you are using google maps, then you are most likely using the google javascript api. If so, doesn't google supply you with examples?

With ajax, you can test the result to see if there are any values or whatever, so you should be able to display the appropriate messages to your users.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you post some code Norb, to make it a bit more clear?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Norb that is excactly what i am trying to do would you share some code with us.

thanks.

7610, Windows 64, Win 7
Excel, PDF, HTML

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:

1) When the child query is executed to get the new data a popup window is displayed. I would like the query to run without any action on the screen.

target=iframe (that is hidden)?

quote:

But worse is: How can I know that the query returned records to then reload the data?

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'SLOBOVIA';
ON TABLE HOLD AS H001
END

-IF &LINES NE 0 THEN GOTO DORECS ELSE GOTO NORECS;

-DORECS
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html><body>Here are your new records....</body></html>
-HTMLFORM END
-GOTO THEEND

-NORECS
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html><body>No new records, sorry!</body></html>
-HTMLFORM END
-GOTO THEEND

-THEEND
-EXIT

Either of these ideas work out?

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi MLM,

Those posts were 3 years ago so I'm not exactly sure what the issue was anymore but I did end up making AJAX calls to retrieve the data from WebFOCUS. The AJAX calls don't open up another browser window so it's much more seamless.

Thanks,

Norb

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post