Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Limits in output in Excel

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Limits in output in Excel
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

in our company we use a self-programmed portal to send parameters to WebFocus.

The result data is gathered into a container in our portal. Until now that worked fine.

In a new programme we have lots of results that should be shown in Excel.

When we use:

ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT EXL2K

we get the output in Excel, as long as the dataset isn’t to great.

But when the output becomes huge (more than 1000 records), the output doesn’t return anything at all.
Our “Container” remains empty.

When I View the source, there is no error, at the end it says:

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 4942 LINES= 4942

But the output is empty!

This problem does not occur when we set the output to PDF or HTML.

I’ve searched for this problem on this forum, but I couldn’t find it.

Question: is there a setting that limits the amount of data or does anyone know about other possibilities?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TonyB,

WebFocus 8.0.3
Windows 7 Prof
Oracle 11.2.0.3
Output PDF and Excel

Posts: 19 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 21, 2008Report This Post
<JG>
posted
There is no WebFOCUS limit.
The only limit is in Excel 64K rows and 255 columns in 2003.
Excel 2007 does not have these limits

Try using ON TABLE PHOLD FORMAT EXL2K instead of ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT EXL2K

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you sure your report is actually being produced?

"View source" is only available when the output is HTML. With other format, a "helper" application is usually started within the browser in order to see the content of the report so when Excel kicks in there is no more "View source".

Could you post your code so we can take a look?

Also, and this may not be so important but try to substitute ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K for ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT EXL2K. The latter is the one automatically set by Developer Studio but I think a read "somewhere" that that setting was going to be deprecated.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the respons.

I’ve tried:

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K

The problem stays the same.

Our portal generates the following type of URL (with parameters):

http://wfontw:8080/ibi_apps/WF...GE=NL&COMP=VBI&ENV=O

And with a small selection (&PCVAN=ZIPCODEfrom:1000 until &PCTM=ZIPCODEuntil= 1999)returns:

http://wfontw:8080/ibi_apps/WF...PG_File=diifkxow.xht

It shows the Excel-viewer with some 530 records.

When we use a great selection (&PCVAN=ZIPCODEfrom:1000 until &PCTM=ZIPCODEuntil= 9999)

http://wfontw:8080/ibi_apps/WF...GE=NL&COMP=VBI&ENV=O

Returns:

http://wfontw:8080/ibi_apps/WF...PG_File=jushmpjc.xht

And shows:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

Only difference the amount of data

Who can tell more about this....

Tony

WebFocus 8.0.3
Windows 7 Prof
Oracle 11.2.0.3
Output PDF and Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think it is the second option: the website is encountering problems.
I see that your output format is excel. And you have also tried EXL2K. To no avail.
Have you tried holding the file on the local server disk and opening it from there (so locally)?
Another thing to try is to have the file opened in excel itself in stead of in the excel viewer. You do this by changing the properties of the file type in windows explorer.
Only some 5000 records should not give you this kind of problems.
It could also be that there is some erroneous data in the latter part of the report that kills excel, but not pdf or html.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
When I looked at old posts that I have booked, I found this one.

This post can be CLOSED, because we found what the problem was.

It had nothing to do with the amount of data, but with the amount and length of the parameters, that were used.

These led to a url that was too long (greater than 255 characters)

When we limited the amount and/or the length of the variables used, the problem was SOLVED.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TonyB,

WebFocus 8.0.3
Windows 7 Prof
Oracle 11.2.0.3
Output PDF and Excel

Master
posted Hide Post
If your URL is getting cut off because its to long then switch your request from a get to a post. Posts allow a much greater string.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It took 7 years to figure out???

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
HAHA, didn't even notice that

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post