Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     SERVER1 CALLING SERVER2 WF

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
SERVER1 CALLING SERVER2 WF
 Login/Join

posted
Has anybody ever called WF from 1 sever to another server?
we have a server#2 with our history database around 10 MB and I would like to join some information from server#1 to server#2 without having to copy the DB from server#1 to server#2 every week
I have tried
SET BASEURL=SERVER#2.JIM.SHOE
TYPE=DATA,COLOR=RED,FOCEXEC=chuck_his.fex(NAME=B10),$ Which works great as a hyperlink
and I have tried

APP APPENDPATH \\SERVER#2\MASTAPP
FILEDEF AWARDS DISK E:\DBA\PERHIS\AWARDS.DAT

TABLE FILE AWARDS
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 10
PRINT
NAME
END

OR

FILEDEF AWARDS DISK \\SERVER#2\DBA\PERHIS\AWARDS.DAT

TABLE FILE AWARDS
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 10
PRINT
NAME
END

all these attemps are from SERVER#1 trying to call SERVER#2
Thanks Chuck.

WF 7.1.3

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.13, 7.6
Test: DevStudio 7.1, 7.6 Servlet - Self Service - MS Windows XP SP2 - Apache Tomcat 5.0.28
Output: HTML, Excel 2000 and PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
It is standard to have data on several servers/databases. The connections to the servers/databases are done in the Reporting Server Console. You cannot write a report to a datasource in a WebFocus focexec without the connectivity having been made previously.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Chuck

I regularly use fixed and focus files across servers with and without JOIN.

The only rules are having the mfd locally, in your case on SERVER#1, ensuring the machines are connected and that there is not a firewall in the way.

For Fixed format files I will use:

FILEDEF MYFILE DISK \\machineName\dirname\file.dat
TABLE FILE MYFILE

For FOCUS db files:

USE
\\machineName\dirname\file.foc as mymfd
END
TABLE FILE mymfd

If you were connecting to another type of data source, then N.Selph is correct and this would be set up in the console and acx files.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alan & N.Selph
Do you know of any manuals that I can read up on to see if I am able to activate sever#2 from server#1.
I have tried the example you provide Alan with no luck, so I am thinking I need to some how connect to server#2 like N.Selph stated. I am trying to find out if there is a firewall on the 2 servers for which I think so due to we use server#1 for website reports.

Again thanks for your previous responses.

Test: DevStudio 7.1, 7.6 Servlet - Self Service - MS Windows XP SP2 - Apache Tomcat 5.0.28

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
CnC,

As a test, try a:

DOS DIR \\machineName\directory
-RUN

from server#1 to server#2

check any firewall log on server#2 if you don't get a response.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I GOT
The network path was not found.

SO I AM THINK I HAVE THE WORNG MACHINE NAME.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That does sound like it!

That's the message that comes when a machine is not found.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

posted Hide Post
Alan
I got it to work,,,, hurray
I did have the correct Machine Name but I was missing the drive name with the $ and I did not have a copy of the master for awards on MEM1, now I understand what you called MFD
FILEDEF AWARDS DISK \\SERVER#2\E$\DBA\PERHIS\AWARDS.DAT

But on the FOC DB I had to use APP FI HISTDB DISK \\SERVER#2\E$\PERHIS\HISTDB.FOC
plus place a DATASET statement in the master file DATASET = '\\SERVER#2\E$\PERHIS\HISTDB.FOC

Thanks for your suggestion

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Great.

Something works!

Yes, of course, it does depend upon how a machine share is set up, I forgot about that bit.

I would have thought that the DATASET statement, the equivalent of the USE command, would be all that is necessary. A filedef, the APP FI, should not have any effect for .foc files.

And of course semantics play a large role here, MASTER FILE DESCRIPTION=MFD=MASTER=SYNONYM!

Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

posted Hide Post
Alan

You help me on this early in the year and it was working great. but the admin try to load WF 7.6 on server#2 but had problems and we went back to WF 7.13 and now my reports are not able to call server#2 anymore and was wondering if you have come across this problem before.

now when I try the DOS call test
DOS DIR \\server#2\E$\CPTEST
from server#1 I get Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password
but I can do the same call from server#2 to server#1 and it works fine.
do you know of any logs I can look at on server#2 to see why it keeps failing.

Thanks
Chuck

Expert
posted Hide Post
FYI, the techniques described above work great on Windows platforms but will not work on others because of the inability to map drives.

In that case you will need to use the -REMOTE syntax.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post