Focal Point
Loop thru an Alert using Report Caster

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5071087331

June 28, 2004, 05:56 PM
<Thiru>
Loop thru an Alert using Report Caster
Hi,

I have an alert program which basically check each record for a condition and if its true then an email has to be sent out for an email address which is also one of the column value for each record. How can I do this as this looks like a looping an alert using RCaster or any otherway?

Thanks in advance,

Thiru
July 13, 2004, 08:44 PM
<Joe Treliin>
Hi Thiru,

If I understand you correctly, you've created an alert. When the alert tests true, you want to dynamically determine the recipient of the report or email by reading this value from a field in a column of data determined by the condition of the alert. Is this correct?

If so, I guess there are a couple of ways you can do this.

The most straight forward way is to create multiple alerts. However, if your universe of email recipients is too large or the conditions too numerous then this is impractical.

After that there are a number of possibilities - but they get a little complex.

Here's one. Rather than use an alert, use the pre-processing feature of a schedule. This should give you more flexibility in what you can code.

Create your schedule using a distribution file as your means of distribution. In the pre-processing fex test for the conditions, just as you would in an alert. If the pre-processing step tests false set &&KILL_RPC=TRUE to kill the job. If the the conditions test true, write the proper email address to the distribution file. Then, when the schedule runs in the next step it will get the proper email address.

You can then delete the file in the post processing step.
July 13, 2004, 09:51 PM
susannah
Thiru, i would suggest making a first pass thru your data, and make an extract file of all the records deserving an alert.
then make a second pass thru that extract, bursting the report so that every person gets an email and each person gets whatever email they require.
July 15, 2004, 03:49 PM
<Thiru>
Thanks for your replies. I worked it out with dynamic address future.

Thiru