Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     RTF on FOCUS for z/OS?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
RTF on FOCUS for z/OS?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Greetings,

Can I produce a report in RTF, with FOCUS for z/OS? (I am on release 7.1.1.)

(I can create PDF format report A-OK, but I have had to rule them out, because my users want to cut and paste from the report.)

I checked out format WP, but this looks like a plain text file. I would like my users to see page breaking when then open the report in MS Word.

I have used routines, in REXX and Assembler, that convert ASA control characters to RTF page control commands, on my FOCUS reports in the past. However, in this case, I'd like to keep everyting in FOCUS.

Regards,
Dave Briars

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, but I think that HOLD FORMAT DOC can help.
I have seen that this format generates a HEX 0C character (= DEC 12 ASCII = Form Feed) for page break.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Mikel

Posts: 173 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: May 09, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Mikel,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I tried HOLD FORMAT DOC and it is working like a champ! Smiler

May I ask you, and the forum, two follow-up questions?

1. HOLD FORMAT DOC is not listed in my 'FOCUS for S/390' manuals - Versions 7.0 nor 7.1. As far as you know, is this format is fully supported by IB, on my platform/release? (I know I have to check with IB to find out for sure.)

2. Is there a way to suppress the HEX 0C on the first page? When I print the report, I receive a blank page, before the first page of the report.

Once again thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,
Dave

Master
posted Hide Post
Greetings,

Following up...

My report created with FORMAT DOC on z/OS was opening up OK in MS Word, until I realized I needed to more control things then just page-breaking.

I wanted also control things like: page orientation, font size, paper size,...

I decided to 'roll my own' RTF format. I create my report using FORMAT ALPHA. I embed each report line with the required RTF code. I then sandwich the report file with RTF code. I then ship the report as a .rtf attachment to a email messsage via the z/OS internet gateway. The document opens up in MS Word, and is ready for my users to edit/cut/paste/... in Word.

Regards,
Dave

PS
I checked with IB, and they recommend FORMAT WP

Master
posted Hide Post
PS
I checked with IB, and they recommend FORMAT WP over FORMAT DOC.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David:

Thanks for your comments.

I use exactly the same technique to send html pages via email.

1. I write my html file using -WRITE and/or HOLD FORMAT ALPHA|WP embedding my own xhtml code.
2. I Send email with the created file using htm extension.
3. Final users open the attached report with a simple click or double-click.

This technique is useful for any text-based file format.
(rtf, htm, xml, csv...)

About FORMAT DOC, this feature is fully documented under WebFOCUS 4.3.x. I know this works in 7.11 due to casual tries (either our 7.11 doc. haven't DOC references)

Regards,
Mikel

Posts: 173 | Location: Madrid, Spain | Registered: May 09, 2003Report This Post