Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Data Migrator Client - Startup Error (or warning)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Data Migrator Client - Startup Error (or warning)
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
This is a cross-post from the iWay Products forum...

09/23/2008 13:43:35            Initializing...
09/23/2008 13:43:37            Loading components...
09/23/2008 13:43:37            OK
09/23/2008 13:43:39  EDASERVE  Successfully connected as user "SYSTEM"
09/23/2008 13:43:39  EDASERVE  Warning: effective userid "SYSTEM" is different from requested "bsanchez"

What does this warning mean? How do I login as bsanchez instead of SYSTEM?

In a related issue, it seems like the execution log of some tasks does not get added to the log database - they run but there's nothing in the log. I don't know if this only started once I recreated the log database using the iWay Server utility programs, and now there's some problem with User Ids

Thanks,

Francis

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Please ensure that the server is started with security on so that the requested user id is used.
For logging flows started from the DMC be sure to use "Run" and not "Test Run" or "Run Deferred."

N/A

Posts: 397 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 03, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I will verify this, but I think the server is started with security on - doesn't the issue have something to do with how the "Data Management Console" (the client is what I'm calling it) logs in to the server?

The flow issue I mention occurs for scheduled execution, not when I use the Run button.

Thanks,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
As for your logs, check to see if the SCHEDULER is running. From the web console, click on WORKSPACE, then CONFIGURATION, then SPECIAL SERVICES, then STATUS. If the status of the SCHEDULER says 'failed', that could be your issue.

As for how you change from being logged in as SYSTEM to something else, right click on the node name you want to be connected to and you'll get a list of options. At the top of that list, you'll see either CONNECT or DISCONNECT depending. At the bottom, you'll see PROPERTIES. Click on PROPERTIES. At the bottom of that window, you'll see SECURITY. If it has EXPLICIT checked and SYSTEM in the user ID, then you can change that to the user ID you want. But go back and DISCONNECT first, then change the user ID, then CONNECT again. If the SECURITY option is not EXPLICIT, then I'm sorry to say I'm not sure.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jessica, thanks very much for the explanation on how to change the login ID - I will try this out soon.

Regards,

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
The login Id is set to the "requested" one, so I don't know why I get the warning message.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I would check the properties of the SCHEDULER then. Follow the same links I laid out to see if the SCHEDULER is running, then click on SCHEDULER, then PROPERTIES, and see what that says. It may be set to run all scheuled jobs under the server administrators ID. And just so you know, I'm not an install/configuration person, so take this with a grain of salt. Smiler

WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jessica,

Thanks for all your help, you have been very informative.

Regards,

Francis.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi there,

I recently started seeing this "Warning: effective userid "SYSTEM" is different from requested..." as well. I am also getting frequent "Unexpected Remote Disconnection" messages in the Data Management Console.

I looked at the status of the Scheduler and it was stopped. I also verified the environment connection settings and the user ID is explicitly defined in there. However, I still get "Warning: effective userid "SYSTEM" is different from requested..."

Do you suppose a full restart of the WebFOCUS server is needed?

Thanks,

Dan

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assume you meant the Data Migrator server and not the WebFocus server. A restart can't hurt, if for nothing else but to see if the Scheduler starts. While you're at it, you might want to check the size of your ETLLOG.FOC file. There is a 2Gb limit, and in my experience, once it fills up, strange things can start to happen.

WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is solved? Where's the solution? I'm having the same problem. Which correction fixed it?

S.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sorry John - I don't know how it was "SOLVED".

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
John, It's been quite a while since I posted this and I haven't worked with Data Migrator in over 16 months. Is your log db full? Did you recreate the log db? Perhaps it was created by a different user. I recall this was all quite vague.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It turns out we were running it unsecured, but not because we set it to. We had the I-Way service set up to run OPSYS under an specific user account on the operating system instead of the system account. This seemed to fix a problem where the scheduler didn't want to work. When it started up the account we used did not have enough privileges. Rather than fail, the I-Way service simply changed itself to run unsecured. Since it was now running unsecured, it substituted another ID for the explicit ID I was connecting with via Data Migrator, and that's what brought me here.

The log was the key to figuring this out -- it had a line in the startup part of the run explicitly stating that since it did not have privileges, it would switch off security.

This is a hazard in my opinion -- I'd have taken the system offline immediately in my old DoD job and left it that way until this conversion to an at-risk state was disabled.

This thread did indeed point me in the correct direction and I'm grateful -- thank you all. That said, marking it "SOLVED" is just silly -- marking anything "SOLVED" is silly when each person brings a unique situation to the conversation. At best it's little help and at worst can be quite frustrating.

J.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post