Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] CONDITIONAL JOIN -

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] CONDITIONAL JOIN -
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,
I am using a conditional join with variable and constructing a cluster masterfile.
JOIN WHERE CAR EQ &&CAR.
How can I pass FOC_NULL to this variable.If I use FOC_NULL it throws me error.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Isn’t it _FOC_NULL? What’s the error?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
(FOC32516) AN ELEMENT IN JOIN_WHERE EXPRESSION IS NOT RECOGNIZED: _FOC_NULL
BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you share an example we could run? WF_Retail has FACTS and DIMENSIONS you can use to join SALES to PRODUCT.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I don't have the WF_Retail sample in my Repository

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Is there any way to do this.
How can we ignore the JOIN WHERE condition in run time.

Master
posted Hide Post
It is really pretty simple. You have a conditional statement which implies sometimes you want it and other times you don't.

Just set the line to an & variable, sort of like this:

-SET &CJLINE=IF condition is true THEN 'YOUR LINE OF CODE' ELSE '-*';

then where your line of code is, just substitute it with &CJLINE like this:

... lines of code
&CJLINE
... more lines of code

When you want it, it will be there otherwise it will be a -* which the parse will ignore.

Also, why do you have 2 threads open for this question?

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I can comment the line if I have it in the procedure.What I have is a cluster master file where I am joining two tables.In that one JOIN condition has &&Variable and the other is Table1_ID EQ Table2_ID.
The JOIN condition will be JOIN WHERE Enrollment Date GE &&VARIABLE.

If I pass a value to this variable it will work fine.
What if I need to ignore this condition and run it for only the join condition with the ID.

Master
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into using a master file profile?

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
master file profile

I have not used MFD profiles much in my development.
It would be helpful if you can share how we can use MFD profiles to achieve this requirement.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Siva

An MFD Profile is just another fex you register with the master file. When you open the synonym in the properties there is a place to reference the fex to be used under MFD_PROFILE. It can set && variables every time a user accesses the master file.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck,
I am setting my variable in the procedure.But if i set it as _FOC_NULL it throws error.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Siva

Better open a case with techsupport I don't know why that would cause an error. Did you put it inside single quote marks?

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The functionality of _FOC_NULL, to signal "ignore this line of code" only works in a fex (as the fex pre-processor is determining whether and in what form to push the line into Focstack for execution).

In code occurring in an MFD and referencing global (&&) variables, if the &&var's value is _FOC_NULL it will be taken literally -- if within quotes, as a text value; if unquoted, as a fieldname. Either way, the resolved line remains "active" and the Join will throw an error at run-time.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post