Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Filter Data in Masterfile

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Filter Data in Masterfile
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Everyone

I'm wondering if there is a posibility to filter data in the master file. I don’t mean providing a filter for a user (that’s the insert-> filter case). I’m mean filtering the real data like a where condition in an sql statement.
Or can that be only done in a procedure (fex file)?
Thanks for your answers.
Regards
Matt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 26 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: August 17, 2016Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Matt,

It's in the documentation, you just have to remember where the documentation is and search Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony

That's not what I was looking for :-). Maybe a problem between the chair and the keyboard.

Ok, let's try again:

The doc you mentioned says: "Filters are created in the Master File through the Synonym Editor and can be used in a Business View file or in reporting tools" .

How can I add a filter in a html page - more precisely - in a dropdownbox? (Assuming there is a drop dropdownbox that shows some data from a masterfile).

regards
Matt

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
How can I add a filter in a html page - more precisely - in a dropdownbox?

Are you talking filtering the data used to populate a dropdown box or having a list of filters from which the end user can chose?

If it's the former then populate the dropdown box using a procedure and have the filter within that procedure.

If it's the latter then just add static values to your dropdown box.

If it's neither then please try and refine your description so that we can understand what it is that you really want to do Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony

Sorry, for my unprecise formulation. I'm talking about filtering the data used to populate a dropdown box.

And I'm wondering if it's possible to do that without a procedure - as I tried to describe in my first post - filter the data within the master file without having a extra procedure.

(The way you mentioned in your post is clear to me and no further dicussion needed -> "If it's the former then populate the dropdown box using a procedure and have the filter within that procedure.").

regards
Matt

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Whether or not it's the question posted (as I originally thought) -- I would be very interested to know how to code a data synonym to filter its source data (in effect, to totally hide the existence of source rows that do not satisfy a WHERE condition).

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can add a FILTER which can be turned on or off.

Not sure if it's what you want Jack, but I know that it works as I've applied it at some Customer sites with good effect.

FILTER FILE CAR CLEAR
NAME=ASIA
IF COUNTRY EQ 'JAPAN'
NAME=UK
IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND'
END

SET FILTER = ASIA IN CAR ON

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY MODEL RETAIL_COST
END

SET FILTER = ASIA IN CAR OFF
SET FILTER = UK IN CAR ON
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY MODEL RETAIL_COST
END

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
Alternatively look at a synonym type of SQL_SCRIPT which may work for you.

Not precisely what you want Frowner but close Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
no further dicussion needed

Good luck Matt.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samatthias:
Hi Everyone

I'm wondering if there is a posibility to filter data in the master file. I don’t mean providing a filter for a user (that’s the insert-> filter case). I’m mean filtering the real data like a where condition in an sql statement.
Or can that be only done in a procedure (fex file)?
Thanks for your answers.
Regards
Matt

Look in the documentation for "DBA Security". That's one way to filter out data you don't want.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post