Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Displaying Currency Symbols

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Displaying Currency Symbols
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi
I want to display currency symbol as part of the column title on a PDF report.

I have decided to use the HEXBYT function to produce Pound and Euro symbol. But I want to produce the Russian Ruble symbol which is a combination of english letter p and y and numeric 6 like character. I wanted to know what decimal value to be used in the HEXBYT fucntion to produce that 6 like character.

If you have any idea, pls share with me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Regards,
Kasi Krishnan
WF 7.1.4 & WF 7.6.9: Databases - DB2, SQL Server 2000.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Check out http://www.asciitable.com/ and let us know if you still need more info on this.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more links that might help :

Link to Ruble Symbol:
http://www.kommersant.com/p-10761/Symbol_ruble/

Link to 8-bit (extended) ASCII table :
http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

I don't see the Ruble in there, but I hope this helps !

WF 7.6.4 & 5.3
Charles Lee

Expert
posted Hide Post
OR

Check out Tony's Post

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I hope that does it Krishkasi,

I've learned something from this. Thanks for asking in the first place.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
You might also try searching 16-bit ASCII Eurocodes for a wealth of special characters, although I can't verify if they will work in WF without tweaking your code a little ?

WF 7.6.4 & 5.3
Charles Lee

Expert
posted Hide Post
at the risk of belabouring the point, but perhaps of value to future searchers...

EURO/D8.2!e
or
EURO/D8.2!E
or
STERLING/D8!l
or
STERLING/D8!L
are currency formats existing in webfocus.
they operate like M and N
One puts Euro symbol on all numbers
the other puts Euro symbol on only the first and subtotals.
I leave it to you to organize which is which Smiler
-s

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Susannah !

That certainly does NOT belabor the point !

Looks like the ‘!’ invokes a library or something ?
I’m new, so this may be obvious to some ?

However, it works like a charm on the CAR file !

TABLE FILE CAR
   COMPUTE European/D8.2!E = RETAIL_COST;
   COMPUTE European/D8.2!e = RETAIL_COST;
   COMPUTE British/D8.2!L = RETAIL_COST;
   COMPUTE British/D8.2!l = RETAIL_COST;
   COMPUTE US/D8.2M = RETAIL_COST;
-* COMPUTE US/D8.2m = RETAIL_COST; -* doesn't work on 'M' though  
END

As a 'future member' I appreciate this kind of response.

The uppercase E or L puts the ‘€’ or ‘£’ on EVERY line,
and lowercase puts them just on the first and total lines.

Too bad that doesn’t work for US ‘$’ though.

Is there one for Rubles ? I looked in ‘Help’ for this and couldn’t find it.

Simple and to the point - what a concept !

Thanks

WF 7.6.4 & 5.3
Charles Lee

Expert
posted Hide Post
chuck...M and N...that does it for $

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah

The "M" and "N" were probably part of the original FOCUS language, long before WebFOCUS and Eurocode, and L/l and E/e seem to be their more modern counterparts ?

If "M" and "N" had been written into WF more recently, it might have been "M and m" ? We'd run out of alphabet with all the new countries and their currency symbols !

Thanks for the update on the "M and N" formats (and for the ‘€’ or ‘£’ before that).

Charlie

WF 7.6.4 & 5.3
Charles Lee

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your comments and examples.
But I want to display Russian Ruble Symbol as part of the column heading (title).

I have tried to find the decimal value for that 6 like character in the charts to be used via HEXBYT function. But I have no luck with it.

Regards,
Kasi Krishnan
WF 7.1.4 & WF 7.6.9: Databases - DB2, SQL Server 2000.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I would suggest to always use the international ISO-4217 codes instead of '$' ‘€’ or ‘£’ or 'R' (the last one is the official sign for the Rubel, you do not need an Cyrillic character to display this)
Those special characters makes it not always easy, you need the character set and in graphs or pdf documents they also give me problems.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
you'll need to know what the unicode for the character you want.
start your research here
A tutorial on character code

according to this article in Russia Today
http://www.russiatoday.com/forums/Entertainment/topic/42
there doesn't seem to even be a symbol.

and according to the digital conversion person at the library of congress,
"there was a competition in 1998 but it went nowhere. Duma Deputy Pavel Krasheninnikov has introduced legislation to create a new symbol but the Central Bank calls his initiative pointless ..."

and there's this from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_rouble
the consensus seems to be to use the The ISO 4217 code RUB; , the post-1998 version . (previously RUR). Wiki says there is no current symbol, officially, but
here's a great site listing all the currency symbols

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Susannah

That might be a good idea but if you go back in history to the first printing machines you will find out that the first Russian printers were introduced by Tsaar Peter the Great after his visit to the Netherlands. He ordered an company her in my country to deliver such a machine but with the Cyrillic characters. The company asked him to write these letters. After he did that they found out that it was not so easy and since there was not much time they used our "normal" characters, sometimes in an other sequence and sometimes with some tricks.
If you should study the Russian alphabet you will see that several characters are flipped Latin characters (both horizontal and vertical).

The "old" dollar, pound and other characters were in fact short hands for written text, The first currency notes were also handwritten, the Iso standards for currency are much more secure and better in our computer era...

Just some thoughts....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post