Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     WebFOCUS 8 Migration Testing?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
WebFOCUS 8 Migration Testing?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Has anyone come across, or created, any documentation for testing their WebFOCUS 8 installation at even a basic level which they would like to share?

We are planning to migrate to WebFOCUS 8 soon and are preparing for our "Systems Testing". I am looking for any structured testing suggestions to validate the complete functionality of the new WebFOCUS 8 installation that my FocalPoint colleges may be able to share.

I look forward to your input with appreciative anticipation, Doug

There's a lot of good info here and I am gaining confidence as the posts comes through.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Same here,

I'd be intrested in something like that too.

Greets, Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that those who have migrated to WebFOCUS 8 did something to verify that their migration was, in fact, complete and functional.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm going to start tesing in the next few weeks...I'll let you know what we come up with.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That would be Great Smiler Let me know when you're ready to start and I'll be sure to pass on what I have as well.

Guru
posted Hide Post
I have just spent the last 5-6 months testing our WF 8 environments. There are many components to test and it really depends on how you have configured you’re environment. We broke it down by role.

Administrator/Developer –
Tested initial configuration of the environment using simple programs
Tested Report Caster
Tested Security / LDAP Configuration
Tested initial Portals at a very high level
Tested migration processes
Performance Testing

Developers –
Did initial dive of main portals/applications / Full regression testing

Analyst –
Continued full regression testing on portals

I am still finding little things that I need to address. I would say for me, the biggest effort is from the Administrator role and learning the security and what is has to offer.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt, I'll consider these thoughts as I move forward. How about coding / syntax issues such as with the -READ. There's an instance where "-READ FILENAME .&A.A10. &B.A10" would work but not in WF8 due to the lack of the final period. So, that needs to be changed to "-READ FILENAME .&A.A10. &B.A10." (not sure why anyone would have left that off in the first place or if it's applicable here. But, if it IS there, then it'll need to be changed.)

Expert
posted Hide Post
What was the biggest or most unexpected issue you found after migrating to WebFOCUS 8, from 7.6.x?

Expert
posted Hide Post
All,
We are migrating from WebFOCUS 7.7.03. to 8.02. We are self-serve, now moving to MRE, which, is now called Content in WF8.
New Security issues and Portal creation/maintaining are the main learning curves, at this point.
Also, looks like all HTML pages need to be re-built...

Appreciate MattC feedback; Matt, were you already in MRE, or, self-serve??

I will append this as we move forward; we start July 8...

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
looks like all HTML pages need to be re-built

Because you are moving to MRE? Would they work still work in Self Service? We have thousands.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We're already "in MRE".

Prarie: Isn't that dependent upon whether you do a MOVE or COPY? I recall something about that in a Summit session. It's worth checking into as it would be a tremendous effort for those who "have thousands". Smiler

Tom: Thanks for the feedback and any forthcoming appendages. Smiler

Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes it is very dependent on the MOVE/COPY. I made the mistake of doing it the wrong way and had to "rebuild" my HTML as it will lose the handles.

Tom - We had both. Majority of self-serve which was the easy part. MRE is where you need to be careful.

We just went live yesterday in Production WF 8 for some of our Portals.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
Prarie:
If you are "staying" with self-serve, and, you are going utilize the the new MRE Portals, and, you are "NOT" moving those to the Content folders, you will have to call them from the portal with
 -MRNOEDIT -HTMLFORM/-INCLUDE app_folder/program_name. 

For drilldowns, you'll need to create subfolders in Content, and, call the programs the same way...
Not positive ALL of the above is correct, but, mostly...

Doug:
We have to "copy" as we are also creating new file structures. We "CANNOT" use the MRMIGRATE tool.. We will be able to after the migration for new releases.

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Matt,
How was it easier? We are not using -MRNOEDIT, we want to call the HTML from the Content folder, Common...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Guru
posted Hide Post
If you are in MRE and you want to "-INCLUDE" you need to include the full IBFS path

-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/MBA_Content/Reports/mkt_common_odscom.fex

...at least this is what I did since I messed everything up by running the Resource Template, creating new content folders and copying from the old migrated to the new folder.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt,
What we are building is the HTML in the Domain Content Folder, and, that will be the link seen on the Portal.
So, the user logging into the Portal will see Class List, which, is the name given to it in the Properties of an HTML program in the Common folder, directly running the HTML, which is called xyz.htm; not using -INCLUDE at all.

We then have a Parameters folder that holds the fex's that will populate the List/Combo boxes.

Please describe what you are doing, if you have time. Thanks...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Guru
posted Hide Post
We have something similiar here. All the HTML and programs are stored in a Domain Content Folder. I didn't create many levels in the Content structure as it didn't make sense in my situation. I have a single folder under what ever domain I created.

I have a paticular HTML that has several controls and fex's that drive the controls. It's all sitting in a single folder for me, but it shouldnt an issue seperating them out into different folders by subject areas.

In the Portal editor, all I do it call the HTML that is in the Content Domain Folder.

In order for us to do -INCLUDEs in the Content Domain folder, I had to use the full IBFS path as mentioned below. From an HTML creating standpoint, it should already link the IBFS path if you are starting from scratch.

If you are migrating from a 7 environment, it's important to MOVE versus COPY to keep the linkage of your HTML and fexes that drive the controls.

Hope this helps.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt,
THANKS! for taking the time to explain. Appreciate it... Where would I find MOVE vs. COPY explanation?
If you are referring to MRMIGRATE, we cannot use it...
Tom

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Guru
posted Hide Post
If you can get your hands on the Summit Presentations, this is the one you will want to look at.

WebFOCUS 8 Upgrade: Successful Planning and Implementation
Vashti Ragoonath, Information Builders
Mark Nesson, Information Builders
Tech Level:

Thursday 9:45AM - 10:45AM
This session provides in-depth coverage of important considerations when upgrading to WebFOCUS 8. We will share the experiences of some of our customers when they were choosing a particular migration strategy. At the end of the session, we will run through the migration steps that will set the stage for the second part of this presentation, Case Studies and Advanced Topics.

PM me your email and I can send it to you.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
Done! Thanks!

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
Here's a summation of Copy VS Move:

Copying Migrated Content:
As a rule for copying files in WebFOCUS Version 8, if you copy a migrated file, the new copy will not have the value of the WebFOCUS Version 7 internal references. It will only have an IBFS path. You will need to manually change all content that has WebFOCUS Version 7 internal references to the original file to use the IBFS path of the new copy.

Moving Migrated Content:
1) If you move migrated content, the handle will be preserved and the IBFS path updated to reflect the new location.
2) If unqualified internal references are made to content that has moved to a new location (either to a migrated folder or to a new folder created in WebFOCUS Version 8) in the Resources tree, you will need to manually change all content that has unqualified internal references to use the IBFS path of the new location.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Doug,
THANKS for the explanantion. Again, this refers to MRMIGRATE, we can not use that...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
Just spent 2 hours creating a HTML process; now have to start all over due to:

•	Double List process ONLY sends 1 value
•	Manually changed NONE in HTML tag to OR
•	Cannot manually change anything created in the GUI
      o	If re-opened in the GUI after manual change, lose everything
      o	Try to reopen in GUI,  DEV Studio freezes up
      o	Task Manager, kill WebFOCUS
      o	Lose everything that is open and not saved
•	All HTML tags are on 1 line
•	Cannot place components within FORM
      o	All action buttons fly all over the place(Submit, Reset, Defer, ReportCaster)
      o	Create components “outside” of the Form
      o	Right-click to Add other action buttons(Defer, ReportCaster)

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well that sounds most annoying.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
At the summit I joined a few sessions about the upgrade to 8 subject.
There is some documentation available but I think the more user experience we can get the better it would be.
This subject might become a special headline on focal point
After the sessions I found out, that the planning for this will be a lot more work then I expected. So we won't do it this year anymore.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Clicking the checkbox for Add "ALL" Option now sends the value '_FOC_NULL' instead of 'FOC_NONE'; breaks all code branching or including 'FOC_NONE'.
My RANT has now come to fruition.
Marvelous!!!
Thanks IBI...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
Prarie, Ditto to your:
quote:
Well that sounds most annoying.

Frank: So, let's keep this up-to-date as possible.
quote:
. . . the more user experience we can get the better it would be. This subject might become a special headline on focal point.

Tom:
quote:
'_FOC_NULL' instead of 'FOC_NONE'; breaks all code branching or including 'FOC_NONE'.

Arg...

Expert
posted Hide Post
A Note from Twanette: "http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/4687058136"

Guru
posted Hide Post
_FOC_NULL has been the default since it was introduced. If you open a page that uses FOC_NONE, that will continue to be used. If you create a new page and want FOC_NONE, you can set that in the Property Sheet. I suggest you read the documentation.

You should not manually change what we generate. You will cause more problems that way. You will get a warning when you attempt to open the page in the UI. I would venture to say that is why your double-list is sending one value, or perhaps you have not set it to 'multiple'.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input David, now and always.