Focal Point
WebFOCUS 8 Migration Testing?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5137045136

July 02, 2013, 08:34 AM
Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8 Migration Testing?
Good Morning David,
_FOC_NULL was introduced with WF 7, and, as we are self-serve, never came into play.
Now we are moving to MRE/Content with WF 8, and, it is coming into play. I did check the properties; I checked the checkbox to Add "ALL" Option and ALL came into the text display area. I do not see anywhere to change _FOC_NULL to FOC_NONE. I will search more...

I now know not to edit as opening it back up in the GUI, Dev Studio froze and I lost all changes to programs that were open...
I had to delete and start over...

The double-list was set to Multiple, we use it all the time. As I said, operation was set to "NONE" should have been "OR"

Also, can't edit the Title so now we get a browser tab that says HtmlPage:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe
July 02, 2013, 12:38 PM
David Glick
Tom,

If you select the "DOCUMENT" object in the Properties sheet, there is a property called "Ignore Filters". It has a dropdown to choose between _FOC_NULL and FOC_NONE. The DOCUMENT object also has a property called "Title of element" and this is what you can change to now show "HtmlPage" as the title of the page (the tab in the browser). If the operation for the double-list was set to NONE, I would venture to say that perhaps the parameter declaration in the report procedure is not multiselect OR...Otherwise, I cannot think of any other reason at the moment.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com
July 02, 2013, 12:56 PM
Tom Flynn
Hi David,
Great! Thank You! With all that is going on with WF8, the new architecture, HTML 5, etc., I admit that the new environment is tough to put ones arms around.
I have been a coder all my life; now, the client has mandated the GUI. I'm taking 2 Aleve daily...

I will rebuild the Double-List box and get back to you...

Again, Thanks!

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe
July 02, 2013, 01:46 PM
Doug
Can anyone report on their experience with using the GUI in WF8 to modify "htm" files which contain (manually added) event handlers, these files work fine in 7.6.x execution and modifiable using the GUI?
July 04, 2013, 06:00 AM
Twanette
Hi, In the spirit of:
quote:
So, let's keep this up-to-date as possible.

Just a general comment regarding migrating to WF8 that should not be overlooked:
Do you have any restrictions in terms of the software that can be implemented on the users' PCs?

This could trip you up if you don't plan for it.
DOCID 1001172 on Tech Support provides the details of the browser and plugin versions that are required to take full advantage of the WF8 and HTML5-based features.

Simple HTML WebFOCUS reports can probably be viewed on any browser - but the new HTML5 graphs, HTML composer pages, Portal functionality, PDF output etc. will possibly require more specific versions of the browser, PDF viewer etc.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server
July 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
Doug
Thanks Twanette,

Do you, or anyone else, know if the dashboards, from 7.6.11 still work in WF8 / IE8? Or will we need to got to IE9 or IE10?
July 10, 2013, 10:07 AM
Francis Mariani
Your answer might be within here: Web Browser Support for WebFOCUS.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
July 10, 2013, 10:14 AM
MattC
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

Do you, or anyone else, know if the dashboards, from 7.6.11 still work in WF8 / IE8? Or will we need to got to IE9 or IE10?

We transitioned our dashboards into Portals and we use IE 8 without a problem. I would think Dashboards would work the same.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
July 10, 2013, 11:36 AM
Doug
Thanks Francis, for pointing me to that.

Thanks MattC, That sounds good until we add HTML5 graphs. I guess we'll wait till we go to after we upgrade to IE10 to add any HTML5 components.
July 12, 2013, 03:58 AM
Twanette
Hi Doug,

If you do start using the HTML5 graphs, and all the users don't have the correct browser, WebFOCUS should take care of that for you i.e. there is a "fallback" built in.

I don't know if it always works, but I think it should be OK.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server
July 12, 2013, 08:38 AM
Doug
Thanks Twanette, that comforting.
July 16, 2013, 08:47 AM
CLH
Hi,

We use WF8 and IE8 and everything that was migrated works. If we try to use HTML 5 graphs it usually works thought the graphs that it falls back to because IE 8 can't use html 5 are not the prettiest. We will probably turn off that output option in the admin console until we upgrate to IE 9/10

Crystal

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows
July 16, 2013, 12:28 PM
Doug
Thanks Crystal, That's encouraging. Smiler
July 26, 2013, 02:08 PM
Prarie
So seems all HTML's that have dropdown lists - do not populate until they are opened up in the HTML Composer - Saved and then they work.

This in in Self Service. Is there no other way?
Where's my intern?
July 26, 2013, 02:57 PM
Doug
LOL
quote:
Where's my intern?

And, thanks for the warning...
July 26, 2013, 03:03 PM
Prarie
Smiler
August 27, 2013, 09:13 AM
Doug
More information / cross reference the What are the advantages of moving to WF 8? post.
August 27, 2013, 10:55 AM
Jay Potter
We are in the middle transitioning to wf8. Even though there is a certain level of learning curve I believe it will be worth it. We fortunately had a small number of screens to convert. We had only been on wf7 for one year. Everything did work with the conversion, but it was 10x slower. So sooner or later you will want to rewrite the code to include the full path, so I suggest to do it as soon as possible. The sensitivity of the html forms are higher. I suggest to always make a copy of what you have done at key points, so that if you blow it up, you can recover faster. I have found I can recreate it faster after redoing it 10x. IB has definitely reduced the desired to use the back door for the HTML. You can do it, but will receive a warning message everytime you to try to open it via the gui. I assume if you have a problem with a html page and get that warning, IB support is off the hook. I have had most of the problems indicated above, but have moved passed it with lots of patience.

Four things I would add.

The first thing is that external PDFs can't be saved within the Content folders and then get referenced. An error message pops up saying it is corrupted.I have a ticket open on it and IB has known about for while. It does not like being saved within a database.

The second is that it would be nice if IB wrote a script to use that a file(database record) could esalier restore the file from a backup tape. I will need to work on this soon.

The third thing is that when you get an error because of an invalid path. It does not display the error like the other error. When you run it from the code, it shows the error using XML tags. If it is ran from the portal or list of FEXs, it diplays in similair to HTML using the XML tags. But either way it DOES NOT tell you the line number of the code causing the error.

The fourth thing is if you get an error like the one below with over a thousand more words. It maybe because you did not define parameter correctly. Sometimes it shows the error correctly. Othertimes depending on other code following the error, it displays it like below.

POSSIBLE XALAN and SAXON MISMATCH
TransformerException
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.utils.WrappedRuntimeException: The reference to entity "LINK_NEXT_PO_EXPECTED" must end with the ';' delimiter. at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(Unknown Source) at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(Unknown Source) at ibi.webfoc.wfapi.WFXSLTransform.doXSLTTransformation(WFXSLTransform.java:183) at ibi.webfoc.wfapi.WFXSLTransform.TransformString(WFXSLTransform.java:201) at ibi.webfoc.wfapi.WFReport.fetchReportData(WFReport.java:1937) at ibi.webfoc.wfapi.WFReport.(WFReport.java:1086) at ibi.webfoc.wfapi.WFPresentation.addReport(WFPresentation.java:842) at

Another note - I am an iSeries user which usually adds a little bit of added complexity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jay Potter,

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster