Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] synonym define question

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] synonym define question
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We have a bunch of procedures that are taking a long time to run. Playing with the code it appears the runtimes are being caused by defines that come from the synonym. For example we have a define in the synonym for statusdatetime_fom/YYM = hdate(statusdatetime,'YYMD'). When used as a by lowest statusdatetime_fom. The run time is over a minute. If I remove the synonym define and just put the hdate function into the by it runs in seconds. So I'm trying to understand why the define is slower and when is an acceptable time to use it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8104, Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Rev1,

The database type (Oracle, SQL, ...) might be a possible cause for this. You could try and see what happens if you put the result in a HOLD file first and then sort the HOLD file.

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Member of the Benelux Usergroup

Posts: 198 | Location: Amsterdam | Registered: August 24, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I always turn SQL traces on when running requests against a SQL DBMS table - you get very informative messages about aggregation and whether the WebFOCUS data adapter successfully translated the WF code to SQL. Most WF functions do not get translated to SQL - therefore the data has to be retrieved and then processed by WF, this is particularly inefficient if a filter is on a defined column.

This post provides the code for a SQL trace: SQL Trace statements for SQL Server DB. I'm sure it will be helpful. Please post the messages provided by the trace commands. You can see them by running the fex in HTML format and then viewing the HTML source.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Rather use a define for this sort of date manipulation, you would be better off using a redeclaration of the existing column.

Most datetime stamp columns can be declared with an ACTUAL of DATE and then with the relevant date format you require.

In the following section of a synonym, I am guessing what your existing "statusdatetime" column is declared as, but you should understand - hopefully. Try it and trap the SQL as Francis suggests, you should find the SQL translation is OK and the run time reasonable.

Note that the ALIAS must be the column name within an SQL data source. Whilst the FIELDNAME can be anything (within reason Wink).

FIELDNAME=statusdatetime, ALIAS=statusdatetime, USAGE=HYYMDs, ACTUAL=HYYMDs, $
FIELDNAME=statusdatetime_fom, ALIAS=statusdatetime, USAGE=YYM, ACTUAL=DATE, $

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. We are SQL. Tried the redeclartion with no visible improvement. Tried just putting it to a hold with no help. Seems like the only thing that speeds it up is taking out the define field and writing the compute statement.

Expert
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "We are SQL"? You're using DEFINE and COMPUTE which means you're using WebFOCUS. Did you try a SQL trace?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The database type (Oracle, SQL, ...) might be a possible cause for this.

It was in response to "The database type (Oracle, SQL, ...) might be a possible cause for this.".

SQl Trace has FOC2590 Aggregation Not Done for the following reason: FOC2599 NON-SQL Segment in Hierarchy (Other Interface Present).

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
FOC2599 NON-SQL Segment in Hierarchy (Other Interface Present)
There you go, that's a start. Right away there is a problem - you're joining to a non SQL table/file. that most often can be inefficient.

Francis