Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Trapping Errors When Chaining

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Trapping Errors When Chaining
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I've read a lot of documentation regarding chaining, but I still have to consider it a black box because I am unclear how it works. For example, I don't even know if I need to include in my WHERE clauses fields that correspond to the parameters I'm passing from one list box to another along my chain. I'll figure that out as I utilize it more, however, I do need to figure out a way to trap the error when the subsequent query in the chain returns 0 records. The browser pops up an alert that "There appears to be an issue chaining "mycontrol" to "mycontrol2". Please check the procedures and 'Resolves parameter' value." I know that my settings for the chain are correct, this error is popping up when I make a selection for data my ID doesn't have access to. I want to catch an error and present a more applicable msg to the end-user. Thanks, in advance, for your time. If anyone can point me to some behind the scenes overview of how chaining works, that'd be great too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

WF 8.1.05, Windows Server 2012 R2

Expert
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much I can help, but are you using datasources or a fexes in the chain ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
query in the chain returns 0

Normally it returns no record in target control when selected criteria no match. You can add a All item in your target control.

And data type must be same in all the case when you are passing the value to target control.

Thanks!
@vi

WebFOCUS 8105, Dev Studio 8105, Windows 7, ALL Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you are using "Data Sources" in your controls down the chain, the where-clause gets implicitly specified in the link/chain properties in the Parameters tab. At least, that's how it works in Dev Studio.
In App Studio, that feature appears to be missing...

If you're using "Procedures" in your down-chain controls, then you can pass the chained values in as parameters to that fex. The fex will need a -DEFAULTed parameter and a WHERE clause with that parameter.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I'm using Dynamic/Explicit, so yes, procedures. The problem I'm having is that the JavaScript is popping up an alert msg, "Please check the procedures and 'Resolves parameter' value.". I don't want a user to get this msg, so I was looking for a way to catch this JS error/alert message and suppress it or replace it with a more friendly message for the user.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I should also mention that I'm creating a New User form, so I am presenting the environment selection (e.g. DEV, QA, UAT and PROD)...these are actually static values, not procedures...and the AD groups that the user does and does not belong to. We have both department-level AD groups and division-level. The goal is that a manager can fill out this form...using double-list boxes, to view access of an existing user and make updates or set up access for a brand new user.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think that error tells you that none of the fields in the output of your explicit procedure matches the field you told the control to use for value or display.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post