Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     re. setting profile & the initial allocation on mainframe

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
re. setting profile & the initial allocation on mainframe
 Login/Join

posted
Long time since i worked on focus. I badly need some eg: of how to setup
.focexec(profile) on mainframe before invoking focus & what should be the allocation
to ISPF library
Pls help me

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
For FOCUS on MF, there are several levels of PROFILEs, depending on your needs:
You can use ISPF EDIT to look at a member FOCPARM in the PDS allocated to ERRORS. In that there are SET commands that apply to all users who use that ERRORs (usually production) dataset. If more than SETs are required, then also in ERRORS, a member called FOCPROF will be executed by any user using that ERROR library.
We do send a FOCPARM with the product, but system programmers usually will use ISPF EDIT, to adjust it as needed for their environmnet.

Now FOCEXEC library is then allocated via the JCL, or CLIST per user. This might be a production library shared by all, or a indivicual user library concatenated ahead of the system on. In there, if a member PROFILE is encountered, then it will be executed upon entry to FOCUS. So, for instance, my CLIST to gointo interactive FOCUS looks something like this:
ALLOC F(ERRORS) DA(hliq.ERRORS.DATA' SHR REU
ALLOC F(FOCEXEC) DA('myid.FOCEXEC.DATA' +
'grp.FOCEXEC.DATA' +
'hliq.FOCEXEC.DATA') SHR REU

Upon entering FOCUS, we will execute
ERRORS(FOCPARM)
ERRORS(FOCPROF) (if one exists)
FOCEXEC(PROFILE) (again if one exists)

So, you can create the profiles in any convenient editor (I use ISPF), and then copy them in to the correct PDS.

Batch is basically the same, just with JCL, but with the added facility of an "on the fly" profile where the JCL says
//PROFILE DD *
profile commands
/*

and that will be executed IF there is no PROFILE member in any of the FOCEXEC libraries.

Hope that answers your question.

This is true for any release of MF FOCUS up to and including the soon to be released 7703.

Noreen Redden

PS if the question was more about the editing, I use ISPF. So, before going into FOCUS I might say:
ispf 2

and on the ISPF screen specify
FOCEXEC.DATA(PROFILE) (default is your prefix), then you are in a pretty standard editor.

Typically a user does not have the rights to edit the ERRORs PDS, or the production FOCEXEC libraries, but again your own library can be concatenated ahead of the production ones.

WEFOCUS - All releases starting at 4.3.6
MF FOCUS -- All releases starting at 3.8.68
OS/Platfor _ Predominately Z/OS, but all others as swell
Expected Output Format -- *

Posts: 60 | Location: 2 penn | Registered: May 22, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
If you prefer using someting like NOTEPAD, then you can use that on your PC, and then use FTP to put it in as a member of the PDS -- just another option.

WEFOCUS - All releases starting at 4.3.6
MF FOCUS -- All releases starting at 3.8.68
OS/Platfor _ Predominately Z/OS, but all others as swell
Expected Output Format -- *

Posts: 60 | Location: 2 penn | Registered: May 22, 2003Report This Post