Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Chained Dropdowns with 2000 rows

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Chained Dropdowns with 2000 rows
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello,

I have 5 chained dropdowns (using composer). The first 4 work as expected. The 5th is working too, but it loads 2000 (initially). When it loads it causes a "script warning" and is slow.

I have read everything I can find on FOCAL POINT about chaining and can't seem to resolve this.

Is there a way to NOT populate #5 until the parent is selected?

If/when a user navigates down the chain to #5, there should only be a reasonable number of items returned for #5 (not 2000).

Thanks,
--wg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Winfred Gunter,

WF 8009m, Clustered vm Windows2008r2 reporting servers;
Web interface: tomcat;
Output: EXCEL, HTML, PDF; dbms: Oracle 10, db2 on mvs, mssql

Posts: 81 | Location: Monroe LA | Registered: January 07, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
WG,

make sure the List/Combo box has AUTO EXECUTE equal to FALSE... The only one that AUTO EXECUTE is equal to TRUE is the Parent box...

hth

Tom

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tom,

You're going to make me reveal my ignorance! And where is this AUTO EXECUTE option?

I'm on dev studio 7610.

I don't see it in properties, nor parameters nor code (html tab).

--wg

Expert
posted Hide Post
WG,

You are not displaying ignorance! FYI, I always populate my boxes with fex's, not metadata.
So, when you go into the HTML code, you'll see something like this(search for autoExecute):

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.17092" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" elementtype="21" edaconnectionrequired="true" nextelementuniquenumber="8">
<IFRAME id=iframe1 style="Z-INDEX: 61; LEFT: 3px; WIDTH: 947px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 100px; HEIGHT: 1150px" tabIndex=58 src="" frameBorder=no autoExecute=False" HEIGHTOLD="946" WIDTHOLD="912" name="iframe1"></IFRAME>
<FORM id=form2 style="Z-INDEX: 62; LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 960px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 90px" tabIndex=59 onsubmit="OnExecute(this);return false;" method=post form_type="2" fexlist_list="form2" requests_list="1" default_slider_type="4" form_prompt_location="1" form_number_of_visible_rows="4" form_number_of_columns="4" vert_dist_between_controls="10" form_hor_dist_between_controls="10" form_dist_between_desc_and_input="10" name="form2">
<INPUT id=form2Submit style="Z-INDEX: 63; LEFT: 430px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/run16.gif); WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 68px; HEIGHT: 22px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender" tabIndex=60 type=submit value=" " name="ITEM1"> 
<INPUT id=form2Reset style="Z-INDEX: 64; LEFT: 470px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/reset.gif); WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 68px; HEIGHT: 22px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender" tabIndex=61 type=reset value=" " name="reset1"> 
<FIELDSET id=form2_formbodyid style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; Z-INDEX: 65; LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 955px; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 70px; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" tabIndex=62 tempheight="134" tempwidth="312" formbody="1">
<SPAN id=pane1 style="Z-INDEX: 66; LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 115px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 51px" tabIndex=63 elementtype="32" name="TERM">
<STRONG>Term</STRONG>  

Look for autoExecute...

hth

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Previous note said I didn't see it in the html code either.

My code is generated with composer. The chaining is done by composer. On the parameters tab, I have "embedded procedure" checked and it puts a little TABLE request with XML out.

There's an option to "Limit values returned", but it kills the chaining if I select it.

Still no "autoExec" found in the code (that I see).

Sorry,
--wg

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Are you saying you select the External Procedure and give a fex to populate your control?

I'll try that, to see if it inserts and autoExec parm that I can then change to 'False'

--wg

Expert
posted Hide Post
WG,

Yes, External Procedure. Say you have 4 boxes, chained. Each calls a fex. The 1st one(Parent) executes onload, the other 3 do not. Then, upon a selection, send the Parent value to the 2nd fex with a WHERE:

WHERE column_name EQ 'selected_value1';

Then in, in the 3rd fex:

WHERE column_name EQ 'selected_value2';

Then in, in the 4th fex:

WHERE column_name EQ 'selected_value2';
WHERE column_name EQ 'selected_value3';

That's how I do mine, there are many other variations. Hopefully, someone else will chime in, although, getting close to vacation time (mine begins in 1 hour).

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tom,

So, you are coding by hand or thru the composer?
I guess I need a simple car example to follow doing it your way. I'm new to this gui stuff
and would prefer to code everything (for better control purposes).

I'm use to coding the chained controls (building the js arrays and such), then discovered how fast the composer can do this and am trying to convert to using the composer (to be faster).

Thanks and I wish for you a happy holiday vacation...

--wg

Expert
posted Hide Post
WG,

No, I do what you do, develop everything in the composer, then I "tinker" with the code.
Showing/Hiding combo/list boxes based on selection, JS date validation, etc.

Usually can't open in the GUI afterwards, though. Yes, with an embedded procedure, it will
execute immediately. Maybe you can set a recordlimit the 1st time through, onload, then,
generate the list after the parents are selected.

Again, hard to show quickly here.

Search on chain or chaining, lot's of examples. Just need to find the right thread...

Happy Holidays to you and yours, as well!!!

Tom

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Gold member
posted Hide Post
All,

I'm going to close this discussion. I got it working by using Tom's suggestion. That is, I took the 5th component (combobox) and changed it to pop from an external procedure. Then added a recordlimit of 100.
That did the trick. However, I never received or found an autoExecute setting. I can live with it not getting a complete list initially (which is useless). Everyone will be instructed to go down the chain anyway. By the time you reach the 5th combobox, there's not more than a 100.

Thanks,
--wg