Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Static/Dynamic PDF Report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Static/Dynamic PDF Report
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello,

I am working on a project which requires me to develop a PDF report which is most part a static document of about 4 pages.

I have to match my report to a pdf sample provided by the client which has a border around and matter written in blocks forming a tabular format pdf page. Also, couple of pages requires me to show a table of data fields from a master file I will create for this.

How do I go about creating a pdf report which has a tabular look and has both static and dynamic information being displayed?

I am quite new to WF and we are currently using WF Dev Studio 7.7.03.

Thanks in advance!

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I might be misunderstanding your requirement, but are you trying to create a document that has some generic text with values embedded into the text? Sorta like a mail merge where a paragraph of text has some numbers and Dear Nova27: and so on?

If that's what you're trying to do, you can use HEADING, FOOTING, SUBHEAD, et cetra and insert any value you want using the
 <FIELDNAME 
syntax in your report.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
No, it's a little more complicated than that.. I think I didn't do a good job explaining my problem...

I can attach a sample to show you what exactly do I mean, but I can't find an attach button here - how do I attach something?

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
many years ago I had to merge a WebFOCUS PDF report with pre-existing PDF files. We had to use a third party product called PDCAT to concatenate the PDF files. The situation hasn't changed. I don't think there's a way to concatenate a WebFOCUS PDF report with a pre-existing PDF file. I don't think you can do it with "Creating Compound Reports With Document Composer".

You could try to mimic the static PDF report using WebFOCUS and then create a COMPOUND PDF report.

If the design of the static report is very precise, one workaround might be to create a jpeg or png image of the static PDF file, then create a COMPOUND PDF report, with the image added in one of the COMPOUND report sections.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
How can I mimic the PDF report using WebFocus and then create a compound report? Can you please explain?
Will using Precision Report tool available in Dev Studio help?

Thanks!

WF 7.7.03, Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
To share a PDF file with us, unfortunately you have to stick it somewhere on the web, then provide us a URL. You could put the pdf file in a folder in DropBox or one of the other file hosting services.

When I say mimic, I mean use TABLE FILE to try and create a report that looks like the static PDF file - this usually isn't easy.

I don't know anything about Precision Reports.

I don't know if the "Document Composer" is available in v7.7.03 (perhaps it's called "Precision Reports"???).

A simple hand-coded compound PDF report:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF OPEN
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
WIDTH
LENGTH
HEIGHT
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF CLOSE
END
-RUN

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
To provide an embed image into your post - go to the Focal Point main page and click on - FAQ's
Scroll to find - ** Post an image

For information related to the suggestions made above please visit the IBI Technical Support Center.

Under "Get Answers Now":
You will find links to the IBI documentation - Technical Content - select your WebFOCUS version

As well as - Technical Videos

There are also links for "Search Technical Content" and "Search Knowledge Base" - both can be used to search for 'Compound Document'

Finally, being a newbie it might be wise to review the offerings on Education - Your Key to Success

Focal Point itself can be "searched" for answers to most of your questions. Especially, questions as you have posted that might be 'out of the ordinary'.

I hope the above information will provide you with further assistance.

Thank your for participating in the Focal Point Forum,
Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tamra, may I make a bet that there's nothing on the Technical Support Center site that will show you how to concatenate a WebFOCUS PDF report with an existing static PDF file?

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis - not taking the bet Good One

Nova27 - Depending on the static layout you might be able to recreate the static look within the use of Heading/subhead/subfoot/footings - and create a WebFOCUS version of the existing PDF.

Then using Document Composer merge the 2 PDFs together.

Just an idea !

Thank you for participating in the Focal Point Forum!
Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post