Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Tips & Techniques Contest - Summit 2008 - 10 Submissions to date!

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Tips & Techniques Contest - Summit 2008 - 10 Submissions to date!
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
All Focal Pointers,

We are excited to announce that this year we will have the Focal Point Tips and Techniques contest again. The winners will be announced at Summit in Gaylord Opryland, Nashville, Tennessee. Do you have an original, elegant solution to a complex, technical problem? Would you like to share with all?

All submissions will be presented in our Focal Point Tips and Techniques Contest session on Wed, June 4, 2008, 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. A grand prize will be awarded to first place, prize to be announced!! All submissions selected (looking for 10) will receive a prize as well.

********CONTEST GUIDELINES********
The deadline for submission is Monday, May 12, 2008.

* Please submit your Focal Point Tip and Technique in a doc file with your name, Focal Point ID, Company, Title, and number of years you have been using Focus/WebFOCUS.
* Submission must be in two parts:
--- In the first part describe the problem you are solving, e.g. I have three identical files on three separate machines, and I need to combine the data into one aggregated report.
--- In the second part show your solution or code (with comments).
* Your tip can be shown in 5 minutes or less. Noreen Redden will present it on your behalf.
* All entries will be judged on originality, complexity of problem, and elegance of solution.
* Send all submissions to focalpoint@ibi.com in a word document.
* You must be a Focal Point Member to participate.

It is highly recommended, but not required, that you attend the session to win the prize.

Thanks everyone!! We look forward to hearing about your tips and techniques and seeing you at Summit in Nashville. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kathleen Butler, Focal Point Manager
Kerry Zhan, Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kathleen Butler,

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey Kathleen,

I think we need to start a "Stump Gerry" contest!

Wink

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Mickey - Yes, that's a great idea. Come on everyone! Submit your tip and technique by the deadline date above.

The prizes are going to be great I promise.

Kathleen

Posts: 391 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i want to nominate this thread for a TOTY Award
from AlanB..
re: accordian report
and this one from Ginny
re visualizations

and this one from FrankieMartini
images in the forum
and this other one from FrankieMartini
refresh

and this one from Prarie
SET EMPTYREPORT=ANSI

If We, the Pointy Heads, nominate the threads that have helped US most, we'll get some really good stuff...and a way to say thanks to our fellow PointyHeaders...

and who can forget DHagen's epic
multi-multi-drill

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have a beanie with a propeller on it. Does that mean my head isn't pointy?

Thanks for the nomination, Susannah!

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Prarie's

SET EMPTYREPORT = ANSI

is the greatest trick ever!

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Razzer Wow

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed,

SET EMPTYREPORT = ANSI

I was banging my head on the table 'til I found this trick, simple yet powerful, thank you!

7.1.3 on XP into HTML, Excel, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
I tried to send in a Tip/Technique and got

quote:
The message could not be delivered because the recipient's mailbox is full

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Waz,

Please re-try now: focalpoint@ibi.com.

Look forward to hearing your tip/technique!! Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
<peyton>
posted
that's probably because Kat is away on her honeymoon. Mazeltov!

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Mrs. Kathleen and Congratulations! I hope you had a wonderful trip!

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. My wedding and honeymoon was wonderful. I'm in full Summit mode now and getting ready for an exciting meeting in Nashville! We have 10 submissions to date for the Focal Point Tips and Techniques session and they are all great so this will be a tough competition. I hope all Focal Pointers will attend this session on Wed, June 4th, 4:00-5:30 in Room: Bayou E. Be sure to come and visit the Focal Point booth as well.

Have a great day all!

Kathleen
Information Builders

Posts: 391 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2006Report This Post