Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Teradata ODBC

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Teradata ODBC
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Does anyone use a 3rd party ODBC connection for Teradata that work with WebFocus? Or have you configuring your ODBC connection differently. I know WebFocus has one that you can purchase but it works the same as Teradata's default ODBC We are pulling about 40K rows in about 3 minutes where it should be more like 10 seconds. Any help would be great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.6.10 /IIS 6/ JBoss Enterprise 4.3
Windows XP SP 2/Windows 2003 Server
MVS 7.3.3

Posts: 76 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: August 30, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
IBI does not provide an ODBC driver for Terradata. IBI's reporting server has what are called data adapters that use the native database clients to access data. In the case of Terradata they use the odbc driver or cli client provided by the database vendor.

Posts: 12 | Location: New Yawk | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We are utilizing Teradatas generic ODBC driver which takes an exoborant amount of time when pulling in 40K rows of data. I was hoping that someone out there knows of a 3rd party adapter that will take seconds instead of minutes.

MVS 7.3.3

Posts: 76 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: August 30, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at the SQL you are sending to Teradata. We use both CLI and ODBC on a Unix platform and have much better performance than that when the TABLE requests and/or passthru SQL is well-formed. We use the native Teradata client.

Also opening 40K rows in a browser may be what is taking so long. Why don't you hold the rows in a temp file just to see how long the data retrieval actually takes making allowances for the time it takes to write the file to disk.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I am running the query in SQL assistant...which is their SQL query tool. It looks like it takes 4 seconds for Teradata to finish the query however it takes 3 minutes to spool the recordset back to the requester.

MVS 7.3.3

Expert
posted Hide Post
Putting 40K records on a browser doesn't make much sense. It might be better to do a summary report and a drilldown. There should be a number of topics on this forum about performance and how to improve it from tweakingthe TABLE/SQL to rearchitecting your solution.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
i am using webfocus for the security. I am bringing the recordset (40K at most) depending upon the choices that are selected in combo boxes. The data is then brought back to excel which is drillable.

MVS 7.3.3

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As mentioned earlier, try putting ON TABLE HOLD in your request and see how long it takes to complete the procedure in WebFOCUS. I strongly suspect that the issue doesn't have anything to do with your data connector. It has to do with how long it takes to return 40,000 rows of data to an Excel spreadsheet. (Hint: it isn't instantaneous)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
i know its not instantaneous, but the ODBC connection is the issue. I have the enduser make picks from combo boxes which then pass an SQL statement to Teradata. When I run this in Teradatas SQL assistant it takes 4 seconds to finish the query but another 2 minutes and 52 seconds to display the data. I was hoping that someone else in the WebFocus world is using Teradata as well and would have some insight. Someone on another forum has mentioned to change the buffer size of the ODBC to see if it speeds it up. Another division in my company has actually purchased a 3rd party adapter that has sped the process up drastically. I was hoping that someone knew of another 3rd party adapter that plays well with WebFocus.

thanks for your suggestions!

MVS 7.3.3

Expert
posted Hide Post
Both Darin and I have suggested that you HOLD the selected data to see how long it takes WF to access the Teradata data. I suspect that if you do that, you will see that only seconds have elapsed.

You have said yourself that it takes almost 3 seconds to display the data. We have both mentioned that the Teradata piece is finished by then and it is the loading of the spreadsheet that is taking the time. In fact, if you look at the web console while the browser is trying to load, you will probably see that there is no agent running. That means that the Teradata access is finished.

It isn't Teradata that is your problem; it is the architecture of your solution. 40K rows is a lot to load into a spreadsheet and will take a lot of time.

Please, please do the hold test to confirm or deny what we are saying.

Ginny

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I run this in Teradatas SQL assistant it takes 4 seconds to finish the query but another 2 minutes and 52 seconds to display the data.
To reiterate everyone's point (because I don't think you are really listening?).

From your quote above, you state that you are
  • using Teradata's SQL assistant - NOT WebFOCUS.
  • it takes 4 seconds to finish the query - SQL resultset ready for tranmission to client
  • another 2 minutes and 52 seconds to display the data - important thing here is to display the data - this is the client end not the ODBC adapter so look at network and client.

It sounds as if you want it to be the ODBC adapter but I am fairly sure that, from your statement, it isn't.

The proof would be to run and HOLD the data (as per Darin and Ginny), because that will cut out the client part as it will be achieved on your server.

The other thing to remember about the adapters sold by IB is that they are written such that they take advantage of any specific SQL for the target RDBMS that the ODBC path might not be able to take.

Good luck

T

In FOCUS
    since 1986
    WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
    WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
  •  
    Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post