Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Mainframe FOCUS to Windows WebFocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Mainframe FOCUS to Windows WebFocus
 Login/Join

<Cody S.>
posted
We're currently going through a FOCUS to WebFocus conversion and I was wondering if anyone has done the same and could provide me with any knowledge gained?

Main Issues:
Converting FOCUS DB to FOCUS DB on the WebFocus Reporting Server.

Converting large flat files from mainframe to windows. Is there an ASCII sort that can be accomplished with FOCUS on the mainframe?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Cody,

With regard to the FOCUS DB's, if this is data only residing in a FOCUS DB, which needs to be fully transferred over to the Windows FOCUS DB, then the you need to 'dump' the entire database through TABLE requests and HOLD FORMAT ALPHA - then you can FTP the alpha file to the Windows Server, and run a FIXFORM Modify to rebuild the alpha file into a FOCUS DB.

Master
posted Hide Post
FOCUS databases are binary files... so they are not directly portable between different operating systems and hardware.

As Tred says, you need to dump the data to a flat file (and if it's a file with multiple segments, you need to dump each segment with keys) and then reload the file on the new platform. There are tools to help with this in Developer Studio. It's still a somewhat manual process.

Happy Hunting!

Expert
posted Hide Post
when you do rework your focus files from the mainframe to the local server, you have an opportunity to rework the architecture to make it better, eg, optimized for retrieval rather than update, or whatever you new app needs.
Be careful about bringing DATES across. I found its safest to take dates (packed decimal, and often whacky on my mainframe) into absolute integer and then bring them down. The first file that you bring down is
-MRNOEDIT BEGIN
SET TEMPDIR = D:\IBI\APPS\MYSTUFF
-REMOTE BEGIN
TABLE FILE MYFILE
...do focus stuff
ON TABLE PCHOLD AS MYFILE FORMAT ALPHA
END
-REMOTE END
-MRNOEDIT END
FILEDEF MYFILE DISK D:\IBI\APPS\MYSTUFF\AMYFILE.FTM
TABLE FILE MYFILE
--now do your thing and change your integer dates to smart dates. so much safer.
ON TABLE HOLD AS NEWFILE FORMAT FOCUS
END
..get the idea? this is what i do, anyway. and i run this code from the server, it remote calls up to the mainframe, and its all done by the reportcaster robot. maybe it'll help.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post