Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Maintain -- Sending null, seeing zero in the db

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Maintain -- Sending null, seeing zero in the db
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Ok, so the Oracle database that I am writing to has a trigger on it so that when I send a new record to it with no value assigned to the primary key, it will generate one on insert.

I do just what it wants -- I send a record with the ID explicitly assigned the value MISSING, include a TYPE statement in the update case that verifies its missingness, but when it gets to the Oracle table a record is created with a key value of zero. More to the point, the entire stack of records is generated with a key value of zero, and each overwrites the previous, resulting in just the last record being written.

Is there a way in Maintain to submit a record to Oracle so that the value of the key field presented is indeed a zero?

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm not feeling the love, people. I mean, I come back a few hours later, and only FIVE people have even READ my question. Now, I realize that the question is a hard one and the subject is a bit out of the ordinary, but it gets awfully lonely out here, and if you could do me the courtesy of at least pretending to read it I'd feel a bit better. Just click and move on. It won't take more than a second. It doesn't take a lot of effort to take a peek inside the envelope.

I appreciate I'm asking you to be a bit disingenuous, and that's not something I generally do. But in this case I think it's safe to look at it as a "little white lie" -- the kind of thing you'd do to spare a blind date's feelings, or reassure your spouse that they still look young and vibrant in spite of their years.

So if you do stumble upon this post (likely because you inadvertantly clicked it while aiming for the stylesheet question one line lower) do me just the smallest favor of spending a moment to let me know you care, even if you have no clue what I'm talking about. It's simply remarkable how much a kind word or two can do to help someone who's having trouble with their code.

Hey, it could be your Edaserver next time.

love to you all,
John

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
John,

I read any post I see with 'Maintain' in the Topic description !

Sorry I can't help you with it, but I suspect the the answer lies on the Oracle side of things, and I don't know anything about it.

But, I will be getting into Maintain with SQL Server soon, so I'll keep an eye on how this thread develops...

Dave

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
John
Sorry for the delayed response. The Maintain community may be small, but we are fiesty AND growing everyday. Especially overseas. I did 3 demos last week and have 2 more planned for this week. Don't give up hope Smiler

Ok. When dealing with Oracle, we have seen that READONLY key field that auto-increments everytime a record is included into the database. When using Maintain against this kind of field, we do not list that field on the include or delete line. We list the other fields, and Maintain and the database seem to know how to include and delete.

Having said that, I have no way of forcing that key value to be anything. It would seem to me, if you only want one record in the database, delete ALL the records before including the new one. That would do it.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Currently I am using a REVISE command because the records are all mixed in. Rewriting to INCLUDE concerned me as it will be a bit more complicated than I hoped and I was not confident it would provide a different result. If you believe the change will make a difference I will go after this revision today.

Thank you for the response.

J.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Try adding FIELDTYPE=R into the MFD for the field in question.

EricH

Master
posted Hide Post
John
Wait. What do you mean that "Include will make the difference?" If the key field is not readonly, and the fieldtype is numeric, you can absolutely have a value of 0 (zero). But, if the key field is auto increment, then I am not sure there is anyway to reset it, or include it as 0.

Mark

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You mentioned include and delete without discussing revise or update, so I was of the opinion that you thought include would work differently. If this is not the case I will not go down that path.

My goal is to avoid the zero -- I send null hoping for an autoincrement and am instead getting a zero. I just examined my master file and indeed the field is not typed as read-only, so I will flip that switch first and see if it changes the behavior.

Thanks for all the help -- I love you guys (sniff).

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Oh crap. I wrote the wrong thing in my original post. You guys think I'm trying to write a zero ID. I'm trying to get the autoincrement to assign a reasonable value for the ID, and when I send a missing ID I'm getting stuck with a zero in the data table. For some reason the missing ID is getting set to a zero in the data table.

Sorry for the confusion.

Master
posted Hide Post
That makes more sense.

Maintain will respect the Readonly autoincrement field. Just leave that field off the Include line, and the database should create the value for you.

Mark